East Hamilton softball player Kelsey Payne signed scholarship papers Friday with Brenau University in Gainesville, Ga. The Golden Tigers, coached by Devon Thomas, compete in the Southern States Athletic Conference and were regular-season champions in 2009. In 2012 they ended up third in the NAIA national tournament and last year were ranked No. 3 in the preseason national rankings. "My visit was the last week in July," Payne said. "I saw the campus, talked with the coaches, met with the players. I felt comfortable there. It's just kind of a comfort thing." Payne, who played in the summer for the Frost Falcons '94 18-under team, was an all-state selection for the Lady Hurricanes in 2012. She missed about three weeks with a hamstring injury last spring but for her career has a .449 batting average with 19 home runs and 118 RBIs with one season remaining.
• After dangerous weather led to suspension of Thursday's second round of the Tennessee Senior Amateur golf tournament at Hillwood Country Club in Nashville, the Tennessee Golf Association cut it from 54 holes to 36, and Mike Freels of Chuckey won Friday with a 2-under-par 142 -- one stroke better than first-round leader Doug Harris of Franklin. Chattanooga's Neil Spitalny and Athens' Mike Poe tied for fourth at 145, and Signal Mountain's Tom Baird tied for ninth at 148. Chattanoogans Mike Jenkins and Randall Yoder shot 153 and 154 and tied for 14th and 17th. The Super Seniors also ended after 36 holes although they got Thursday's round in, so Jack Ramsey of Germantown won at 148 by a stroke over Dan Schorsten of Hendersonville with Tullahoma's Don Midgett sixth at 153.
• The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga volleyball team lost 3-0 to Florida International and to Jacksonville in FIU's tournament Friday and is 0-10 for the season. Allie Davenport downed 10 kills, Julimar Alvarado had eight and Anne Bachmann added seven with 19 assists for UTC in the 25-18, 25-19, 25-23 loss to FIU (4-4). Catherine Chason had 17 digs in that match, and Melissa Green had 18 in the 25-22, 25-20, 25-10 defeat by Jacksonville (9-0), when Kasey Talley had nine kills and Bachmann had 26 assists.
• Ashley Ferris made 10 kills and Carolyn Evans and Kara Stamper added eight and seven as Bryan College won 25-16, 25-15, 25-15 over visiting Columbia (S.C.) in Appalachian Athletic Conference volleyball Friday. Taylor Fink had 30 assists and matched Corrie Walker's 13 digs for Bryan (10-1, 2-0). Tennessee Wesleyan (5-6, 2-1) won 25-17, 25-20, 25-14 in its AAC home match against St. Andrews.
• Chelsea VanDyk and Cora Schroeder had 12 and eight kills and two aces apiece and Stephanie Kirkpatrick had 28 assists in leading Covenant College (6-2) past Dalton State's first-year volleyball program Friday, 25-23, 25-14, 25-15. Savannah Nelson's seven kills and Michala Askew's 11 assists led DSC (1-5).
• Payton Tipton's team got the better of former Cleveland High School teammate Kristen Pickett's as King College won 25-21, 25-23, 22-25, 25-14 over Carson-Newman in King's volleyball tournament Friday. Tipton had 10 digs after making 16 in a 25-15, 29-27, 25-14 defeat of Southern Wesleyan. Pickett had 32 assists and nine digs and Boyd-Buchanan graduate Rachel Harper had 13 kills and 12 digs in CNU's loss to King. The Lady Eagles (3-3) earlier beat Trevecca Nazarene 20-25, 25-15, 22-25, 25-18, 15-13.
• Chloe Rader's penalty kick with under three minutes to play gave Lee University a 1-0 women's soccer win Friday night against visiting Emory, ranked No. 12 in NCAA Division III. Haley Gribler made eight saves for Lee (1-2), which was outshot 14-12 but had a 9-4 edge in corner kicks.
• The Lee men's soccer team tied Union University 1-1 at Jackson, Tenn., as Arturo Rocha scored at 55:38 from a Jonathan Perelman assist for the visiting Flames and Krister Andreassen equalized two minutes later. Tom Halsall made six saves in goal for Lee (1-1-1), which outshot Union (2-0-1) 17-14 but was outcornered 7-3.
• The UTC women's soccer team lost 3-0 to Gardner-Webb as the latter's Border Classic began Friday at Boiling Springs, N.C. Shelby Hooe assisted on the first goal and scored the other two for the Runnin' Bulldogs (2-3-1). Taylor Mangrum had six saves for UTC (2-3).
• The Tennessee Temple men's soccer team fell to 0-5 with a 1-0 loss at Huntingdon in Montgomery, Ala.
• Freshmen Shelby Meckstroth and Tyler Edell scored for Sewanee in a 4-2 women's soccer loss Friday at Mississippi College. Macey Lee scored twice for the host Lady Choctaws (3-2); the Tigers dropped to 3-1-1.
• The Covenant and Centre College men's soccer teams were left with a scoreless tie on Lookout Mountain when a Centre goal late in overtime was disallowed because of a handball. Covenant (3-1-2) outshot the Colonels (2-1-2) 11-7, and each goalkeeper was credited with two saves.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress