Guntersville, Ala., was the last show Ricky Nelson played before his death in a plane crash on New Year's Eve 1985. Tonight, Sept. 19, his twin sons, Gunnar and Matthew, will offer a tribute, "Ricky Nelson Remembered," an hour east in Fort Payne, Ala.
The show, which has sold out, is described as a high-energy rock concert, rock 'n' roll history lesson and multimedia event with film and television clips. It includes such hits as "Hello Mary Lou," "Poor Little Fool," "Travelin' Man" and "Garden Party."
The brothers, who've been performing the tribute show for eight years, are the third generation of the Nelson family to find success on the charts. As the rock duo Nelson, they hit No. 1 in 1990 with the song "Love & Affection" from their debut album, "After the Rain."
The show starts at 8 p.m. CDT at the DeKalb Theater, 306 Gault Ave., N. It is presented by the Big Wills Arts Council as the keynote concert for the annual Boom Days celebration.
Get more information on the festival at www.boomdays.org.
• 1. His real name was Eric Hilliard Nelson.
• 2. He is the only artist to have a No. 1 song, No. 1 movie and No. 1 television show in the same week.
• 3. Life magazine put him on its cover in 1958 and coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe him.
• 4. He is credited with pioneering the country/rock sound.
• 5. His earliest hits debuted on his parents' show, "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet," essentially making Nelson the first rock video star.
• 6. His legacy includes 53 hit singles on the Billboard Hot 100 and 19 other Top 10 hits.
• 7. He won a Golden Globe for his performance alongside John Wayne in "Rio Bravo."
• 8. He is in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.
• 9. His former wife, Kristin Harmon, is a sister of actor Mark Harmon.
• 10. He and Kristin had four children together. Daughter Tracy is the eldest, son Sam is the youngest.
Sources: www.rickynelsonremembered.com, www.people.com, www.telegram.com
Lisa Denton is deputy features editor and content editor of Current. She previously was a lifestyle, entertainment and region reporter/pod leader for The Chattanooga Times, which she joined in 1983. Lisa is from Sale Creek and holds an associate’s degree in journalism from Chattanooga State Community College. Contact Lisa at 423-757-6281 or email@example.com.
related articles »
ANGELFEST -- Angel Park Music Pavilion, Sewanee, Tenn. Children's activities (4 p.m.), music (7 p.m.), family treasure hunt and concessions, ...
Elvis tribute artist Matt Cordell will be in Etowah, Tenn., this weekend for two benefit shows at the Gem Theater.
Elvis Presley fans can relive their cherished memories of the entertainer on Saturday, July 20, during "An Evening With Matt ...
Jack Brickles, the last surviving member of The Twitty Birds, will present a tribute show, "In Memory of My Friend ...