• Countdown to Kindergarten: Creative Discovery Museum, 321 Chestnut St., 9 a.m., included in museum admission of $12.95, first of four-part series to prepare children starting kindergarten this fall and their families with skills for successful school year. 423-756-2738.
• Junior Gun Safety Program: American Legion Post 81, 227 James Asbury Lane, Cleveland, Tenn., 6 p.m., $8 per person, dinner and Junior Shooting Sports program, children must be accompanied by an adult. 423-476-4451.
• Ladies Night Out: Georgia Winery, 6469 Battlefield Parkway, Ringgold, Ga., 6:30-8:30 p.m., $15 ticket includes wine and cheese pairings, door prizes, music. 706-937-9463.
• Legends and Leaders Dinner: Chattanooga Golf and Country Club, Riverview Road, 6 p.m. reception, 6:30 p.m. dinner, $30 per person, reservation deadline is Monday; UTC honors Don Lepard and Max Bahner. 423-425-4425.
• Sewanee Chorale & Symphony: University of the South, Guerry Hall, Sewanee, Tenn., 7:30 p.m. CDT, free, concert features songs of Broadway and classic MGM films. email@example.com.
• Pancake Breakfast: Harrison Ruritan Club, 5709 Tyner Lane, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., $6 for choice of two breakfast menus; car wash by Central High School Ruri-teen Club also on-site. 423-344-9851.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...