• Outdoor Expo and Gear Swap: East side of Coolidge Park, 200 River St., 10 a.m.-4 p.m., free. Outdoor Chattanooga hosts 12 outdoor clubs, conservation groups and outfitters for exhibits, activities, demonstrations. 423-643-6889.
• Chattanooga Music Club: First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 1505 N. Moore Road, 2:30 p.m., free, installation of new officers and recital by CMC Scholarship winners. 423-529-0315.
• Fifty-five Plus Club: Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4829 College Drive, Collegedale, Tenn., 3 p.m., visitors welcome, program by one-armed pianist Mary Grace Gellakano. 423-505-6605.
• Introduction to Zazen: ClearSpring Yoga, 17 N. Market St., noon-2 p.m., free, Chattanooga Zen Group hosts program on Buddhism, Zen and meditation led by Arthur Stovall of Zurich, Switzerland. 423-622-2862.
• Military Appreciation: 6th Cavalry Museum, 6 Barnhardt Circle in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., 4:30-6 p.m., free, veterans honored at opening reception of museum’s exhibit, “Over Here and Over There: Georgia and Georgians in World War II.” 706-861-2860.
• Community Health and Wellness Expo: Chattanooga State Community College, lobby of Health Science Center, 4501 Amnicola Highway, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., free and open to the community. 423-697-2432.
• Pancake Breakfast: Applebee’s, 5606 Brainerd Road, 8-10 a.m., $6, 100 Black Men of Chattanooga benefit for Life Academy for Young Men. 423-821-6700.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...