published Friday, February 14th, 2014

Fire kills Georgia girl, 5, injures parents during power outage; candle blamed

MILLEN, Ga. — Authorities say a 5-year-old east Georgia girl has died after a candle sparked a fire in her home, which had lost power after this week's ice storm.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office, says the girl's parents are both hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation.

Allen says firefighters were called to the manufactured home in Millen around 5:40 a.m. Friday.

Allen said the father escaped the burning home but went back inside to try and rescue his daughter, and that's when he was injured.

Allen said the family was using a generator and a space heater to stay warm, but fire investigators determined that an unattended candle in a bathroom sparked the blaze.

The town is about 50 miles south of Augusta, in an area hard-hit by power outages.

about Associated Press...

The Associated Press

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.