Carson-Newman softball third baseman Sara Kelley from Ooltewah High School was honored by Women Play Ball as the Division II national female athlete of the week and also was the South Atlantic Conference honoree after she batted .579 with six extra-base hits and nine RBIs in six games through the weekend. After Tuesday's two home wins against Kentucky Wesleyan, Kelley has a 12-game hitting streak but ended an extra-base streak at 11 games. She leads the SAC with 23 RBIs for the 13-1 Lady Eagles. She was 2-for-3 with a double in the 11-5 win, when Caitlyn Lance from Ridgeland was 2-for-4 with two RBIs. CNU then won 10-2 as Ooltewah's Jessica Morgan completed a 4-for-6 day.
• The Bryan College softball team is 6-3 after beating the University of the Cumberlands 8-1 and 4-3 on Tuesday. Sarah Hundley pitched a three-hitter in the first game, when Olivia Gore was 4-for-4, Heidi Daniel was 3-for-4 with three RBIs and Kirstie Jennings scored three times. Jennings was 4-for-4 in game two, when Daniel, Gore and Taylor Yates each was 2-for-4, Daniel with two RBIs.
• Tennessee Temple lost 7-0 and 6-0 to Montreat in softball Tuesday at Warner Park, but pitcher Savannah Brownlee gave up only three earned runs in the second game and went 2-for-3.
• Ricky Sears scored 17 points, Preston Earle and LaDaris Green scored 13 apiece and Green had 15 rebounds as Dalton State closed out its first season of men's basketball at 26-4 with a 75-68 home win Tuesday night against Tennessee Temple. Elliot Johnson scored 17 and Darius Davis added 14 for Temple (17-11), which got an official invitation to the
• The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga now has three Amateur Wrestling News national Top 20 guys with heavyweight Dawson Peck joining Nick Soto and Corey Mock. A freshman midyear transfer with a 17-3 record, Peck entered the rankings this week at No. 20. Mock (25-3) is No. 13 at 165 pounds; Soto (33-9) is 16th at 133. The Mocs next compete in the Southern Conference tournament March 8 at Buies Creek, N.C.
• UTC's Claire Mulyadi was chosen the Southern Conference women's tennis player of the week after winning the clinching singles matches in team defeats of Mercer and Middle Tennessee State and pairing with Kelsey Coots for an 8-0 doubles win against MTSU. Mulyadi, a junior from Indonesia, went to 6-1 in singles with her 4-6, 6-0, 6-4 victory at No. 5 singles against the Blue Raiders.
• Nate Barnett was 4-for-4 with three RBIs and Grant Goodson also had four hits in Sewanee's 16-8 baseball win Tuesday at Johnson University in Knoxville. Zack Sutton drove in three runs for the Tigers ( 5-1), and pitcher Alex Mockett allowed five hits in six innings.
• Jordan Berry was 4-for-4 with two homers and seven RBIs as the NAIA's 15th-ranked Lindsey Wilson baseball team won 13-4 Tuesday at Bryan College. For Bryan (7-9), Grant Zawadzki and Kevin Roberts each was 2-for-3 with a double, scoring two runs and one, and Hunter Tipton drove in two.
• With senior Courtney Shelton finishing first individually by four strokes with a 54-hole 223, the Lee University women's golf team won the TSYS Collegiate Classic in Columbus, Ga., with a 934 total Tuesday. Led by Shelton's second-round 71, the Lady Flames trailed first-place Lander by three strokes at 630 after Monday's 36 holes. Lander wound up second at 939. Lee's Bernadette Little finished third at 228, matching Shelton's 74, and Cori Burns and Madison Alexander tied for 10th and finished 14th, respectively, at 240 and 243.
• Dalton State recently signed another junior college golfer for the women's team that begins play this fall. Julia McQuilken is following Seminole State teammate Erika Wardzinski from the Sanford, Fla., school. The 5-foot-4 McQuilken is eighth in the junior college national rankings and was a three-time all-county player and two-time All-American at Riverview High School in Tampa. She won several junior tour events and was a Florida junior match play runner-up. "We are really excited to have Julia join our program," Dalton State coach Jim McGrew said in a school release. "She has been heavily recruited by all divisions and has championship success at every level. Julia gives us another leader to work with our younger players."
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
UTC's winning streak ended at eight games with two losses Saturday in the Mississippi Gulf Coast Softball Classic at Gulfport, ...
The Lee University men's golf team is tied for first place two-thirds of the way through the San Antonio Shootout.
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga was overwhelmed Sunday afternoon at the wrestling National Duals in Columbus, Ohio.
Cameron Brewster was 2-for-3 in each game with two runs scored in the first one and two RBIs in the ...