Events and seminars
• North Chattanooga Council meeting from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Iron Tribe Fitness, 125 Cherokee Blvd. The council will host an After Hours meeting in lieu of monthly luncheon. Meetings cost $10.
• Chamber member orientation from 8 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Chamber Board Room, 811 Broad St. A light breakfast will be served why persons learn more about how the Chamber can benefit businesses.
• MidTown Council Meeting from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at Brainerd Golf Course, 5203 Old Mission Road. Meetings cost $10.
• Downtown Council Meeting from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Thursday at the Sheraton Read House Hotel, 827 Broad St. Rob Bradham and Charles Wood of the Chattanooga Area Chamber will talk about economic development and give a legislative update. Meetings cost $15.
• East Ridge Council Community Coffee from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Thursday at Best Western Plus, 6710 Ringgold Road.
• Small Business Orientation from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Blvd. The counselor discusses basic business planning including financial projections and legal entities. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Call 423-756-8668 for more information and to register.
• Financing Your Business the SBA Way from 1 to 2 p.m. Thursday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Blvd. This workshop covers SBA loan options, including which loan program meets a specific entrepreneurial need. Call 423-756-8668 for more information and to register.
• PAC After Hours from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Jefferson's Restaurant, 618 Georgia Ave. The Young Professionals Association of Chattanooga After Hours event brings young professionals together for a casual evening of networking on the second Thursday of each month. YPAC's January After Hours will be a two-part event, with "tailgating"beginning at Jefferson's Restaurant and then heading to the McKenzie Arena for the UTC Mocs men's basketball game versus Samford. More information at www.ypchattanooga.org/events.
• Ooltewah/Collegedale Council coffee and networking from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Friday at Hampton Inn, 6145 Weir Way.
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...