published Thursday, January 16th, 2014

Heat lamp linked to house fire in Hixson

Fire
Get directions:  To here - From here

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire at 3707 Forest Highland Drive around 5:30 Thursday afternoon.

Captain Eric Gordon with Quint 16 said heavy smoke was coming out of the house when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. Homeowner Randy Sarver, his wife and daughter all got out of the house safely, along with their four dogs. Unfortunately, their pet lizard, a Bearded Dragon, did not survive.

Mr. Sarver told firefighters that the fire was in the rear bedroom, and he thought he got the fire out with a garden hose. Captain Gordon said some firefighters entered the bedroom with a hand-held hoseline. They confirmed that most of the fire appeared to be out, except for a few hot spots.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Captain Gordon said the fire was most likely started by a malfunctioning heat lamp that was used to keep the lizard warm.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.