published Tuesday, July 29th, 2014

The Lifeguard

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

88
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
alprova said...

Tennesseans elected the man. Those that voted for him likely do not have any concerns about their health care coverage, for it has remained uninterrupted for as long as Haslam has been in office.

This is what happens when people sit on their collective asses and fail to cast their votes on election day. Others get to decide your future.

The Republican stronghold is cracking in Georgia. By this November, who knows where else those cracks will form.

The South may indeed rise again!!

July 29, 2014 at 1:12 a.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said yesterday....There is no transfer of wealth when there is an endless supply of paper.

That answers a lot of questions about your understanding of the economy. It is consistent with your belief your can borrow and spend your way out of debt. It explains how you managed to be in the financial situation you are in with all the success and great income you claim to have had in the past.

No doubt as long as dollars can be printed they will be available in the U.S. but could that have something to do with the decreased value of the dollar.

July 29, 2014 at 2:22 a.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said..who knows where else those cracks will form.

Those in D.C. are allowing things to drop in a ravine, it is no longer just a crack. I am sure others will join you in voting themselves wealth from the public trough with the belief there is an endless supply since more can be printed, borrowed and confiscated from others until all are equally impoverished.

July 29, 2014 at 2:28 a.m.
fairmon said...

Impoverished Tennesseans can get Tenncare which pays health care cost and others can get a subsidized policy through the federal exchange. What advantage over time is it for a state to participate and have their own exchange? Some that started out doing so are opting out.

July 29, 2014 at 7:31 a.m.
GaussianInteger said...

"It is consistent with your belief your can borrow and spend your way out of debt."

That is a huge leap you are making there. Maybe that is what Al is saying, but I didn't reach that conclusion when I read his statement.

July 29, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Alpo Dana Provancher = hack speak

July 29, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.

Translation of Alprova's post: YEA! MORE FREE STUFF! Whoever gives me the most free stuff I'll vote for.

July 29, 2014 at 8:20 a.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "That answers a lot of questions about your understanding of the economy."

Sir, despite all the chicken wing flapping, the printing of money has not had anything but a positive effect on the United States economy, and that is something you cannot refute.

"It is consistent with your belief your can borrow and spend your way out of debt."

I have never expressed any such belief. Why are you intentionally lying?

"It explains how you managed to be in the financial situation you are in with all the success and great income you claim to have had in the past."

Sir, with all due respect, you know nothing about my current financial situation.

"No doubt as long as dollars can be printed they will be available in the U.S. but could that have something to do with the decreased value of the dollar."

And as I have stated many times, that devaluation only matters when one is involved in International exchanging of currencies.

I have no such involvement. I never have and I likely never will.

I'm a very domestic kind of guy, and my dollars are worth exactly what they have been worth my entire life.

I understand your beef with our Government and the printing of money, as you claim to have involvement in International investments. You are therefore directly affected with any reduction in the value of the U.S. Dollar.

I'm not, so don't ask me to get upset because you might not be making as much money as you used to on your foreign investments.

That Sir, is YOUR problem.

July 29, 2014 at 8:45 a.m.
TheJackDennis said...

^^. Sir, are you on the public dole?

July 29, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "I am sure others will join you in voting themselves wealth from the public trough with the belief there is an endless supply since more can be printed, borrowed and confiscated from others until all are equally impoverished."

You're becoming very nasty about my personal circumstance. I have stated several times that I was supporting the Democrats long before I became disabled.

I am not seeking any "wealth from the public trough," you jerk.

I paid my part into that system for 36 years, and as of this day and for many years to come, it will not be costing you or anyone else a cent.

So %^&* off if you don't like it.

July 29, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.
alprova said...

The poster in this forum, known as "The Jack Dennis" has a seriously sordid past. It is one he has confessed to in this very forum. He admitted to being Jack Dana Dennis, who it turns out is a three time convicted pedophile in Knox County, Tennessee.

He will not and cannot provide proof to any recantation of his confession of May 18, 2014.

Do you really want to discuss anything with a confessed pedophile?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/may/18/ostrich/#c270586 http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/may/18/ostrich/#c270592 http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/may/18/ostrich/#c270593 http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/may/18/ostrich/#c270598

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/TN00513388/Jack-Dana-Dennis.html

http://mugshotsrus.com/2013/09/11/jack-dana-dennis

July 29, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Alpo Dana. Was it something I said?

July 29, 2014 at 8:57 a.m.

Only in this country, and at this time, can illegal aliens protest right outside of the WH without any fear of the authorities, and even demand that they be included in meetings with the POTUS. How absolutely pathetic is that.

July 29, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.
TheJackDennis said...

A NATION OF LAWS! Bwahahaha

July 29, 2014 at 9:17 a.m.
Ki said...

The national debt has always grown larger with a republican president in the WH.

July 29, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.
alprova said...

Z-man wrote: "Only in this country, and at this time, can illegal aliens protest right outside of the WH without any fear of the authorities, and even demand that they be included in meetings with the POTUS. How absolutely pathetic is that."

It's at least as pathetic as your swallowing hook, line, and sinker that there are all these massive amounts of illegal aliens protesting outside the White House without photos or videos to prove it.

Faux News strikes again!!

July 29, 2014 at 9:22 a.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Are you there, Tony Dana?

July 29, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.
alprova said...

Reading Mat Drudge's website this morning, I've finally arrived at a conclusion.

The Republican Party is planning to win this year's mid-terms STRICTLY by planting false immigration stories on right-wing websites.

They believe that they will empower their voting base to go to the polls by keeping up this crap about an alleged explosion of immigrants flowing over the borders and a President that is allegedly doing nothing about it.

There is a Nebraska Republican candidate actually calling for President Obama to hop on Air Force One and go to Central America and announce that our borders are closed and that no amnesty will be forthcoming if they keep coming up here, as if that would accomplish a damn thing.

Republicans are hinging their entire election strategy on keeping illegal immigration on the front burner, while at the same time, hamstringing the President from obtaining the funds to deal with the problem.

It's Executive Order time baby...and time to call the Republican's bluff on lawsuits and impeachment.

Republican cheerleaders might be fooled by all these false news stories, but people with a brain are going to see right through them for what they are.

July 29, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

Alprova, sorry accusation made by someone who is a liberal hack.

I would say you're delusional, which you may be, but it's more accurate to say you're just a liberal hack who will defend this regime to the end because they can offer you the most free stuff.

Yeah, nothing is going on, it's all our imagination.

History, facts, logic and common sense are just tossed out the window.

July 29, 2014 at 9:37 a.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Alpo is a delusional hack and a fraud. He's a serial liar with no life beyond this board. Sad, really. Maybe he should go back to shilling used cars. One owner cream-puffs.

July 29, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.
alprova said...

Z-man wrote: "I would say you're delusional, which you may be, but it's more accurate to say you're just a liberal hack who will defend this regime to the end because they can offer you the most free stuff."

Is that really all you can offer? It's not your fault that you believe all the crap you see on Matt Drudge's website. You're simply intellectually challenged and conditioned to accept that stuff as fact.

"Yeah, nothing is going on, it's all our imagination."

Do you know what PROOF is? Where is the PROOF that all this crap is taking place and that it is not all being exaggerated and blown out of proportion?

"History, facts, logic and common sense are just tossed out the window."

History is not part of the equation. What's happening today is what is on the table.

Common sense would dictate that one would seek a better and more credible source of information than Matt Drudge.

Facts will then fall into place.

Logic is screaming that because the most outrageous stories regarding this "immigration crises" are only found on right-wing hit sites, extreme doubt comes creeping out of the woodwork.

Rick Perry believes he is going to propel himself to the front-runner status by exploiting this immigration issue.

Other border State Governors are questioning his use of Guard Troops at the border. Bad idea, they say.

There is no way this issue will work for the Republicans the way they hope it will.

July 29, 2014 at 9:51 a.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Alpo Dana asks "Do you know what proof is?" *now that's rich coming from the liar"

July 29, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

Your post confirms what I wrote.

"intellectually challenged" LOL

And ignoring history, facts, logic and common sense regarding a broad range of issues makes you intelligent?

You're just a pompous lib/party hack who tosses out a bunch of sophistry. You just repeat the same old liberal talking points.

July 29, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.
alprova said...

Z-man wrote: "And ignoring history, facts, logic and common sense regarding a broad range of issues makes you intelligent?"

With any respect you may have coming, what facts, logic or common sense have you ever offered into this forum?

"You're just a pompous lib/party hack who tosses out a bunch of sophistry. You just repeat the same old liberal talking points."

I know better. I do my own thinking. I look at both sides EVERY SINGLE TIME before taking a stance.

You read Matt Drudge and post what you read.

See the difference?

July 29, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

LOL

Yeah.

That's what do you do.

July 29, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.
ibshame said...

It's as I wrote yesterday, the day AFTER VW announced it's new SUV would be built in Chatt.,WRCB on its evening broadcast reported Tennessee was listed as the worst state in the Union to live in. In that same report of the top ten worst five were Southern RED States. This past week-end Tennessee was listed as the third most conservative in the nation. Mr. Bennett's cartoon accurately portrays the end result of those distinctions. While teabaggers have put a stronghold on the state legislature nothing good has come of it for the poor and less fortunate when it comes to providing adequate health care. Last year Tennessee had the distinction of having the worst crime rate in the U.S. In the end while it's the teabaggers and their ilk that are taking this state down the road of the worst rankings, one can only blame those who are too apathetic to get up and go out to vote.

Instead they allow a small minority to make decisions for the majority and the end result are those rankings which are shameful. Flying J Haslam should be very happy he has no REAL competition and he will float to a win in Nov. as will Alexander. Unfortunately for Chuckie Fleishman that is no longer the case. Couldn't happen to a better teabagger.LOL

July 29, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.
alprova said...

Well Z-man, if you find you have some disagreement with what I have stated, you're free as a bird to PROVE me incorrect.

I wish you good luck with that.

July 29, 2014 at 12:18 p.m.
timbo said...

Ho..humm..another asinine Bennett cartoon.

July 29, 2014 at 12:21 p.m.

ibshame, leave then. If it's so awful just leave. Leave the south and leave Tennessee.

Why don't you move to a state in which the plantation mentality of your Democrat Party dominates, you know, like Massachusetts, Illinois/Chicago, California or D.C. That way you can surround yourself with those of a like mind. Those that call black Americans "uncle tom" because they do what you say, belong to your party and vote like you think they should.

I'd rather live in Tennessee, in the south, then in the liberal plantations up north.

The bashing of the south is getting really old. There's more racism up north in places like the Chicago area, Philadelphia area or in Boston then there is down here.

Grow up.

July 29, 2014 at 12:55 p.m.
GaussianInteger said...

"You just repeat the same old liberal talking points."

And you just repeat right-wing folklore, urban legends if you will. I corrected you on your comment that the Dept. of Homeland Security was buying all of the ammo in the US. I corrected you on illegal immigrants' inability to vote. I corrected you on illegal immigrants' ability to fly into the US bypassing TSA. "Liberal talking points" or not, you constantly regurgitate fairy tales. Has the thought ever occurred to you to fact-check some of the preposterous claims that you continuously repeat?

July 29, 2014 at 1 p.m.

Guass, you've proven nothing, nothing.

According to all of you everything is just fine and dandy and stuff is just being made up.

The biggest joke of all is you libs's insistence that antisemitism has nothing to do with Hamas' motivation against Israel. Even though Hamas flat out says so and has it written down. That's the perfect example.

Libs are delusional.

July 29, 2014 at 1:05 p.m.

Glad to see Boehner will not pursue impeachment, though BO richly deserves it. Good to take the ball out of BO's hands. He was counting on that for sympathy. Let him do what he does on the border, on our economy, elevating illegal invaders over citizens, siding with troglodytes and savages over the only inclusive democracy in the middle east. BO looks really, really bad to most Americans, and that makes the Democrat Party look bad.

July 29, 2014 at 1:11 p.m.

You libs keep doing what you do best, divide. Keep calling black Americans who don't agree with your ideology "uncle tom" and it will come back to haunt you.

July 29, 2014 at 1:13 p.m.
alprova said...

Z-man, look at your posts. I am absolutely convinced that you pull a string out from your back and type whatever you hear.

What else could it be? You make the same statemens over and over and over. Nothing ever changes with you. Nothing.

You're hopeless.

July 29, 2014 at 1:21 p.m.

Of course I type whatever I want, and?

I know the truth hurts. Hopeless how, because I say it the way it is?

The truth hurts.

July 29, 2014 at 1:25 p.m.
alprova said...

Z-man wrote: "Of course I type whatever I want, and?"

...and nothing, so long as you do not claim it to be factual. You do not have any habit of typing any facts. You type rumor, innuendo, and outright lies.

"I know the truth hurts."

So far, I'm not feeling a thing, because you seem to be incapable of discerning truth from fiction.

"Hopeless how, because I say it the way it is?"

Hopeless because you are eternally locked in dispensing anything but the way it truly is.

July 29, 2014 at 1:55 p.m.
conservative said...

God cares for those who know Him.

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. 1 Peter 5:7

July 29, 2014 at 3:23 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Dana Provancher wouldn't know the truth if it slapped him on his ugly frog face.

July 29, 2014 at 4:43 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Can't remember a Party posturing to impeach their own president. R's won't fall for it.

July 29, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

Exactly, Jack. Even the bumbling GOP aren 't going to fall for it.

July 29, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

It would be a gift to BO to try and impeach him. It would be the racist card times a thousand.

July 29, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

^^. Desperate strategy by a party that is out of ideas...out of ammo...unable to defend the empty suit. The strategy is akin to their Golden Rule strategery, yes the R word. A sorry lot.

July 29, 2014 at 5:27 p.m.
alprova said...

Then you better shut Sarah Palin's mouth, because that stupid bitch is leading the call for his impeachment, and the last time I looked, she's as Republican as it gets.

July 29, 2014 at 5:27 p.m.
alprova said...

Jack Dana Dennis -- only irrefutable proof. No lies. One doesn't need to lie when there is proof to back it all up.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/jul/29/lifeguard/#c278016

July 29, 2014 at 5:30 p.m.
ibshame said...

Z fister, there will NEVER be a day when someone like you can tell me or suggest to me that I should leave TN or for that matter the South. If you are happy with the mess TN has found itself in then that's you, but the days are gone when someone of your ilk can suggest a person leave because they don't share your dumbass, ignorant view of this state. Just so you know, this state is in the worst shape it has ever been since RWNJ's took over the state capital and U.S. delegation. It is a disgrace but as I stated before I don't blame the low-life politicians, I blame the ones who didn't bother to vote. As the saying goes,you get what you pay for and the sorry bunch in Nashville from Flying J Haslam on down are the result of cheap votes and apathy. Until the poor and less fortunate in this state are afforded proper healthcare I will continue to criticize and there's not a damn thing you can do or say to stop it. You dislike the fact Barack Obama is President, why don't you leave the United States? See a dumba$$ suggestion works both ways.

July 29, 2014 at 5:32 p.m.
alprova said...

The South will rise again and dump these idiotic Republicans little by little. Yessirreee...the cracks are showing.

Georgia is likely to be the first. Carter is out-polling Deal for Governor, believe it or not.

Will it hold? Time will tell, but I'm amazed that he has reached this pinnacle.

July 29, 2014 at 5:41 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Alpo Dana, you have no creds. You're the most egregious liar ever to visit this forum (24/7). Your lies are legend, going back to the CPA bs. You, navel gazer, are clinical. Now you're just another statistic feeding at the public pail.

July 29, 2014 at 5:47 p.m.
ibshame said...

The ONLY reason Boehner is trying to sue the President with his lawsuit is to appease the ignorant , dumbass teabaggers so he can keep his position as SOTH. The only problem is that Palin and the rest of that dumba$$ crowd aren't going to be satisfied with the lawsuit( which is going to be thrown out of court as soon as it gets there), instead they're going to go full court press for impeachment. Boehner will fold and the Repubs will lose the White House, the Senate, the House and at least two or more seats on the USSC, because Hillary and Bubba will be doing the picking after Hillary's win in 2016. No, impeachment isn't off the table, it's just that the establishment Repubs are scared out of their drawers that the teabaggers are going to destroy them from the inside if they pursue it. Dems just have to sit back and watch the show. President Obama should "TRIPLE DOG" dare teabaggers to go for impeachment. That ought to get that bunch riled up enough to go for it. LOL

July 29, 2014 at 5:50 p.m.

It's not going to happen Alprova, he won't be impeached. You're not going to get what you want.

Whatever ibshame, fine talk coming from a racist.

Actually BO is trying his damnedest to try and get responsible, law abiding citizens to be so disgusted that they want to leave this country. He wants to fill it with mindless drones who owe their allegiance to him. Of course I'm talking about the illegal alien invaders. They won't ask to many questions and they'll fit right in with you libs who just want a bunch of free stuff from gov. Right, pajama boys?

Keep dreaming Alprova, the country had their fill of frauds like BO. His stupid slap in the face to citizens with his orchestrated border fiasco is going to come back to haunt Dems.

A CNN poll found that most would vote for Romney if they could do it over.

July 29, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.
alprova said...

Mrs Potato Head (a.k.a. Jackie Dana Dennis), your confession gives me all the credibility I need. It's grade A proof and it still stands to this very day.

What can you prove?

Haw!!...Haw!!...Haw!!!

July 29, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Problem is, lanced boil, nobody believes it.

July 29, 2014 at 5:56 p.m.
alprova said...

Z-man wrote: "It's not going to happen Alprova, he won't be impeached. You're not going to get what you want."

What makes you think I want impeachment proceedings? I know it's not going to happen because the Republicans have tested the waters in polls and have found that they do not have any support, even from their own loyal voting base.

"Keep dreaming Alprova, the country had their fill of frauds like BO. His stupid slap in the face to citizens with his orchestrated border fiasco is going to come back to haunt Dems."

This faux crisis is going to blow up in the face of the Republicans, just like all the faux scandals have, and all their faux votes to repeal ObamaCare have.

The Republicans have absolutely nothing to run on, so they are pinning all their hopes on this ridiculous explosion in illegal immigration.

It would be funny if some of you dolts weren't taking it all so seriously.

"A CNN poll found that most would vote for Romney if they could do it over."

ORC International of the United Kingdom conducted that poll. It was not a CNN poll. I wouldn't put a great deal of stock in a poll conducted by a foreign firm.

But, since you cited it, I notice you failed to add that in the same poll, Mitt Romney would lose to Hilllary Clinton by double digits.

July 29, 2014 at 5:58 p.m.

Sarah Palin is wrong on impeachment. I think the best thing they can do is let BO be BO. That's what will happen. Let him hang himself, he's own so much that's wrong and bad for this country that impeachment isn't necessary.

Meanwhile I heard Hellcat try and justify Hamas' habit of using citizens to protect their weapons. Crazy old bag. It's such a small region, what can they do LOL

July 29, 2014 at 6:04 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Hillary, huh? Still waiting for someone to cite an accomplishment. Woman is nasty.

July 29, 2014 at 6:13 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Last time I looked, Palin not part of the leadership.

July 29, 2014 at 6:53 p.m.
ibshame said...

Here's a forthcoming accomplishment for you: She will become the first woman elected to the office of President of the United States should she decide to run and there is no one on the Repub side who could beat her.

July 29, 2014 at 6:53 p.m.

I trust a poll, and news sources from UK papers for that matter, more than I do the lib leaning news organizations in this country. They tell it the way it is. They don't fear political correctness and the race card.

Hellcat, or the back up dingbat, Elizabeth - please believe I'm a native American - Warren, won't win. I don't think America wants to hear the same old crap from them that they did from BO, except from a pantsuit. They're all flaming lefties. I know you pajama boys want a Mommy to take care of you and give you a big, over sized cup of cocoa to drink. Pathetic.

How can a man be liberal? I'm not talking about belonging to a party, but the liberal agenda/philosophy. I'll never understand. I guess it's kind of the same thing as man who likes to dress like a woman LOLLOLLOL

July 29, 2014 at 6:56 p.m.
ibshame said...

Palin thinks of herself as part of the teabagger leadership and for them that's all that counts. Of course considering what a complete dumba$$ she is one can't blame the establishment for not recognizing her leadership abilities. LOL

July 29, 2014 at 6:56 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said....And as I have stated many times, that devaluation only matters when one is involved in International exchanging of currencies.

I have no such involvement. I never have and I likely never will.

Does that mean you never purchase an imported product? Does that mean you can buy the same thing with a dollar at the same price as you could in the past?

alprova said... despite all the chicken wing flapping, the printing of money has not had anything but a positive effect on the United States economy, and that is something you cannot refute.

It has certainly made the wealthy especially the mega wealthy more wealthy. The median income is down for the typical working person. What happens when the printing stops and interest rates go up?

Will that dollar that is still worth what it has been your whole life if inflation is similar to the Carter years?

July 29, 2014 at 7:09 p.m.
fairmon said...

I don't want to hear or see time wasted on impeachment since it will accomplish no more than sanctions in congress for egregious behavior like that of Charlie Wrangle. Incompetence and ineptness is not an impeachable offense. Also, neither are Promises not kept justification for impeachment. The stupid republicans sat on their hands and watched Obama make major changes in the healthcare law and did nothing to require it be implemented as passed or altered by congress. Screw them, they are all talk just like democrats.

July 29, 2014 at 7:17 p.m.
ibshame said...

Z fister you are so full of bullsh!t until you are truly a joke. Just the other week when I pointed out the fact that it was the FOREIGN press that alerted the US media to the fact they had been bamboozled into believing there were WMD's in Iraq you said they couldn't be trusted. Now, today because they have written something against Hillary winning, you all of a sudden think they are reliable. You are sick. No other way to put it. When Hillary wins in 2016 (should she decide to run) it's going to be pretty rough for your kind. All of her skeletons have already been exposed, she has TWO parents born in the US, all of her husband's skeletons were exposed when he was in office , so when it comes right down to it your kind is going to have to make crap up but it won't last long because there are too many ways to fact check any made up crap these days.

Being a teabagger is not going to help because by the time they get through bullying the base of the Repub party into impeaching President Obama, the establishment Repubs will ban them from any office and kick you to the curve because of the losses they will face. But you hang in there because by 2024, Repubs just might be able to field an electable candidate but I wouldn't hold my breath unless President Hosea Ferdinand Martinez(fictional name,lol) happens to be a Repub. Cosidering Repubs unwillingness to address immigration reform these days, highly unlikely. LOL LOL

July 29, 2014 at 7:18 p.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "Does that mean you never purchase an imported product? Does that mean you can buy the same thing with a dollar at the same price as you could in the past?"

Pretty much. I haven't noticed a remarkable increase in my costs for most of the last two decades.

"It has certainly made the wealthy especially the mega wealthy more wealthy. The median income is down for the typical working person. What happens when the printing stops and interest rates go up?"

Where is there any proof that interest rates will go up? When was the last time this nation had a dramatic rise in interest rates?

May of 2000 was the last highest peak in the last 14 years @ 8.7%.

The last time interest rates were above 10% was 1986.

The last time interest rates were any higher than that, was in 1979.

Seems to me that interest rates have not been an issue of concern for the last 34 years, but you worry about them if it makes you feel better.

"Will that dollar that is still worth what it has been your whole life if inflation is similar to the Carter years?"

Now you're really flapping those chicken wings. Interest rates above 14% again?

I don't think so.

You need to have a little more faith in the Fed.

July 29, 2014 at 7:25 p.m.
GaussianInteger said...

"I know the truth hurts. Hopeless how, because I say it the way it is?

The truth hurts."

Really Fister? I guess that is why you post so many lies and fabrications. If you didn't have your own personal cheerleader (JackDennis), I would suspect that you would get the hint that you post nothing more then cow manure. It's really disingenuous for you to post that crap and then just walk away when someone proves it's bogus. Like your sudden 180 when it comes to impeachment. Recently, you were screaming that "Obama needs to be impeached", that he's a "criminal". Now it's "Glad to see Boehner will not pursue impeachment"? Anyone that has been around here for a few months knows that's bullsh!t on your part. Who are you trying to kid (other then yourself)? Nice try, pal.

July 29, 2014 at 7:27 p.m.
fairmon said...

The economy tanked and since that time every time 'demand' slacks off, the Fed appears with more credit.

The idea of creating and enhancing "demand" with new money is hardly new. It is by far the easiest way to simulate demand growth. You print money (or otherwise boost credit).

The economy takes up the new purchasing power and confuses it with real demand. Sales go up. Prices rise.

A boom follows.

But it is a fool's boom, real demand can only come from production, not from printing money or expanding credit.

I didn't intend to say they will reach 14% but they will go up which is a major concern of the FED and why they warn congress about the cost of servicing the debt should interest return to a normal level.

You say you look at all sides. Check out how household debt has gone up in the past decade, especially since "quantitative easing began. Reduced spendable income and increasing prices have been a major cause.

July 29, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Ibeshamed, how does one get kicked to the curve?

Gassy, I'm shakin my Pom-poms,

July 29, 2014 at 7:49 p.m.
ibshame said...

Kicked to the curve is slang for being tossed aside and deemed worthless. Kinda of like the reaction to most of your and Z fister posts that are unsubstantiated with facts but instead made up bullsh!t from some RWNJ'S rag or inside your head. Understand now? Or another way of looking at it is like putting trash out on the curve to be removed with the garbage.

July 29, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "The economy tanked and since that time every time 'demand' slacks off, the Fed appears with more credit."

Which is always welcomed with open arms. You can worry when no one wants to loan us any money. 'til then...

"The idea of creating and enhancing "demand" with new money is hardly new. It is by far the easiest way to simulate demand growth. You print money (or otherwise boost credit)."

And the sad thing for you International Monetary exchangers, is that outside of your little arena, printing more money works like a charm to keep the economy humming.

"The economy takes up the new purchasing power and confuses it with real demand. Sales go up. Prices rise."

Sales are definitely up. Prices rise and they fall.

"But it is a fool's boom, real demand can only come from production, not from printing money or expanding credit."

You might not think so, but the tactic has been used for decades and it has only been good for this nation. Outside of this nation, no so good, but that's the breaks.

"You say you look at all sides. Check out how household debt has gone up in the past decade, especially since "quantitative easing began. Reduced spendable income and increasing prices have been a major cause."

Household debt had nowhere to go but up after 2008. I'm not surprised to see people taking on debt now, after several years of debt dumping. You're likely citing coincidence.

Personally, I have been debt free for years.

July 29, 2014 at 8:12 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Ibeshamed, I believe it's kicked to the curb. Understand now?

July 29, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.
alprova said...

Kicked to the curve is most valid.

Poor Jackie....

He really thought he had something there.

July 29, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Kicked to the curve makes no sense, navel gazer.

July 29, 2014 at 8:18 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Dana, do you receive food stamps?

July 29, 2014 at 8:19 p.m.
ibshame said...

In my day we often put our garbage in the curve because we didn't want it in front of our house so CURVE or CURB all depends on whether or not you happened to live on a street with a CURB. Understand now? We didn't have sidewalks lining my street so there were no CURBS but there was definitely a CURVE.

July 29, 2014 at 8:35 p.m.
alprova said...

I'm betting he will not understand it. I am amazed to find out that as man living in the South as long as he has, has not learned that the two terms are synonymous.

July 29, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

What's in front of your hovel, Tony Dana?

July 29, 2014 at 8:43 p.m.
inquiringmind said...

Wait a minute. Fairmon sez, ""Will that dollar that is still worth what it has been your whole life if inflation is similar to the Carter years?""

Just be sure you do not blame the high interest rates on causes related to President Carter. Why was there rampant inflation in the mid 1970's? Who was the previous President and what major economic expenditure was he totally involved in? Nixon, Vietnam. Did he raise taxes to pay for the war? No. Did he curtail non-military spending proportionately? No. Result: Rampant inflation. Guns and butter never work.

Doesn't it sound eerily familiar to 2001-2014?

Carter's years were actually a Godsend, his administration stopped that disastrous inflation by raising interest rates so high it was too painful to borrow money you did not have to spend on things you did not need. I remember banks begging me to borrow money on a credit line at 10%. The high rates killed inflation and saved our economy. Typical. It always takes a Democratic President to fix the economic high jinx of the previous Republican one.

July 29, 2014 at 9:07 p.m.
fairmon said...

real demand can only come from production, not from printing money or expanding credit."

alprova said...You might not think so, but the tactic has been used for decades and it has only been good for this nation. Outside of this nation, no so good, but that's the breaks.

Not to the extent it has for the past 5+ years. Do you know why it only works in the U.S. and what may cause that to change? Doubling the debt with the increase being equal to all past administrations combined cannot be good.

You and those equally selfish boomers have no shame about leaving a debt for future generations they could never pay even at 80% tax rates on the highest incomes. It is 17 trillion and projected to double again in the next decade give or take a year or two. Tell me again how that doesn't matter?

July 29, 2014 at 9:07 p.m.
TheJackDennis said...

Zzzzz

July 29, 2014 at 9:18 p.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "Not to the extent it has for the past 5+ years. Do you know why it only works in the U.S. and what may cause that to change? Doubling the debt with the increase being equal to all past administrations combined cannot be good."

It isn't bad either. Those holding paper on that debt are making lots of interest on that debt. I'm sure you are aware that home grown Americans hold most of that paper and they like it.

"You and those equally selfish boomers have no shame about leaving a debt for future generations they could never pay even at 80% tax rates on the highest incomes."

Sir, it's not my debt, nor have I had any hand in creating it. Your beef is with the politicians who have spent all that money and continue to spend money.

"It is 17 trillion and projected to double again in the next decade give or take a year or two. Tell me again how that doesn't matter?"

Sir, you can have prolonged panic attacks for hours on end if you want to. Me? I'm not bothered a bit by something I have no control to change or effect.

Right now, as a Democrat living in Georgia, my vote for national Democrat candidates is totally wasted. Don't blame me for electing Republicans who talk out of both sides of their mouths.

I didn't vote for them.

July 29, 2014 at 9:18 p.m.
inquiringmind said...

Fairmon sez, "real demand can only come from production, not from printing money or expanding credit."" He probably believes in the gold standard also.

There is overwhelming economic data showing that economic stimulus by spending against debt benefits an economy in dire trouble. Only Ronnie and lackeys believe in trickle down, aka, "production." He has been reading too much Ayn Rand...

July 29, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.
GaussianInteger said...

"Gassy, I'm shakin my Pom-poms,"

Cheering for fabrications and delusions of grandeur.

July 29, 2014 at 9:34 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said...It isn't bad either. Those holding paper on that debt are making lots of interest on that debt. I'm sure you are aware that home grown Americans hold most of that paper and they like it.

Are you kidding? No those holding that paper are not happy but think they are protecting their money which is a major mistake.

July 29, 2014 at 9:47 p.m.
fairmon said...

"You and those equally selfish boomers have no shame about leaving a debt for future generations they could never pay even at 80% tax rates on the highest incomes."

alprova said...Sir, it's not my debt, nor have I had any hand in creating it. Your beef is with the politicians who have spent all that money and continue to spend money.

You certainly advocate debt and spending and support those like minded.

July 29, 2014 at 9:49 p.m.
fairmon said...

im said...There is overwhelming economic data showing that economic stimulus by spending against debt benefits an economy in dire trouble.

It is a false expansion and can only continue with ever expanding debt when not a result of increased production.

July 29, 2014 at 9:52 p.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "Are you kidding? No those holding that paper are not happy but think they are protecting their money which is a major mistake."

No country has a track record of honoring its debts any better than the United States of America, and that's not going to change because a bunch of idiots run around flapping their wings.

July 29, 2014 at 11:48 p.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "You certainly advocate debt and spending and support those like minded"

You're intentionally misrepresenting my positions.

I am not bothered by the debt. I have never advocated out of control spending, and I dare offer that the Democrats are currently better stewards of money than Republicans, and history has PROVEN it.

July 29, 2014 at 11:51 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.