Events and Seminars
• Entrepreneur Bookkeeping Monday from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. This seminar will review the top 10 bookkeeping mistakes business owners should avoid, practical solutions for overcoming these issues and ideas for office efficiency. Other topics will include employing family members, reading financial statements, receipts to keep, meal expensing and setting up QuickBooks/accounts to capture appropriate information for business owners and accountants. A QuickBooks Q&A session will be held at the end of the class. Free and open to the public. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc and scroll to view upcoming training to register. Call 423-756-8668 with questions.
• Hixson Council Community Coffee Tuesday from 8 to 9 a.m. at Dr. Tom Popp Orthodontics, 4211 Hixson Pike. Free event.
• Government Contracting Workshop Tuesday from 9 a.m. to noon at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Learn the basics of government contracting, what government contracts are available to your business and how to get them. Bring your laptop to follow along. Free and open to the public. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc and scroll to view upcoming training or to register. Call 423-756-8668 for questions.
• Ambassador Luncheon Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chattanooga, 495 Riverfront Parkway. Admission is $15 in advance or $20 at the door. Contact Meredith Rivers for more information or to register in advance at 423-763-4372 or mrivers@chattanooga chamber.com.
• Women-Owned Small Business Government Contracting Workshop Tuesday from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Presenter: Gloria Armstead, business opportunity specialist, U.S. Small Business Administration -- Nashville District Office. Learn about the "Women Owned Small Business (WOSB)/Economically Disadvantaged Women Owned Small Business (EDWOSB) Federal Government Contracting Program." Key session topics include an overview of the WOSB program, WOSB program repository, eligibility requirements and government contracting opportunities. Bring your laptop. Free and open to the public. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc and scroll to view upcoming training or to register. Call 423-756-8668 for questions.
• Free Financial and Accounting Advising with HHM Tuesday from 3 to 5 p.m. at The Company Lab, 55 E. Main St. Visit The Company Lab the second Tuesday of every month to receive free financial and accounting advice from Henderson, Hutcherson & McCullough. To schedule a 30-minute time slot for your startup, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 2014 Mayors' Business Breakfast Wednesday from 7:30 to 9 a.m. at the Chattanooga Convention Center, 1150 Carter St. At the 11th annual Mayors' Business Breakfast, Hamilton County Mayor Jim Coppinger and Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke will update the audience on their activities and express appreciation to key decision-makers from local businesses and industries for their support of Chattanooga's economy.
• Social Media Profile Set-up, One-on-one, Wednesday from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Presenter: Ronda Van Billiard. In this one-on-one session, you'll have 20 minutes to address your specific questions about your social media profiles. You'll also learn how to adjust privacy settings and link accounts. Registration and fee are required at least one to two business days in advance. We accept MC, VISA and Discover with no refunds. Reservable time slots are 9 a.m., 9:25 a.m., 9:50 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc and scroll to view upcoming training or to register. Call 423-756-8668 to provide payment and reserve your time slot.
• MidTown Council Meeting Wednesday from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brainerd Golf Course, 5203 Old Mission Road. Speaker: Maggie Neff, Community Outreach Coordinator, Thrive 2055. Meeting costs $10.
• ConnectForLunch Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. at participating local restaurants. Grow your business in face-to-face lunch meetings with two or three members. This setting allows participants to make meaningful connections that can lead to new and stronger business relationships. Visit www.connect4lunch.com/chattanoogachamber to register.
• WEOC Employer Forum -- Hamilton County Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce, 811 Broad St. Program: The Governor's Drive to 55 Initiative. Speaker: Anne Buckle, director of research and planning for Drive to 55. The WEOC is an ongoing effort by the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development to reach out to Tennessee employers to provide valuable information to foster economic development and promote our services.Contact Cathy Humble at 423-763-4321 or chumble@chattanooga chamber.com to reserve your place.
• Small Business Orientation Thursday from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Counselor will discuss basic business planning, including financial projections and legal entities. Attendees will receive an information packet containing phone numbers and addresses for information about business licenses and taxes, as well as other startup materials. Free and open to the public. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc and scroll to view upcoming training or to register. Call 423-756-8668 for questions.
• Ribbon Cutting for The Travel Agency Inc. Friday from 10 to 11 a.m. at The Travel Agency Inc., 735 Broad St., Suite 104.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress