UTC's winning streak ended at eight games with two losses Saturday in the Mississippi Gulf Coast Softball Classic at Gulfport, 2-0 to Texas-San Antonio and 6-2 to Louisiana-Lafayette.
The Mocs (10-8) finish in the tournament today against South Alabama. They got only one hit against UTSA, by Sam Taylor. Liana Rodrigues pitched the first inning for UTC and gave up a hit, a walk and a run, and Taylor Deason allowed six hits and a run in the next five innings.
Anyssa Robles was 2-for-3 with a two-run double that gave the Mocs the lead in the third inning. ULL promptly scored two of its own and added three in the seventh to open the gap. UTC did not make an error in either game.
* Chattanooga State 3-1, Walters State 2-7: At Morristown, the teams split a TCCAA doubleheader for the second day in a row. Hannah Manley pitched a four-hitter and Bailee Williams was 3-for-4 with two doubles and an RBI in the first game for Chattanooga State (20-2, 6-2), while Elyse Ferguson homered and Katy Richardson had the other RBI. Lindsey Stickrod homered in game two.
* Lee 9-1, West Georgia 6-10: At Cleveland, Ana Coscorrosa homered, doubled and batted in five runs for the Lady Flames in the first game of the Gulf South split, and Dominique Hannah had three hits and an RBI. Lexie Dean scored three runs and Amanda Lynn and Hailey Clark added two hits apiece in that game, but Lee (8-10, 3-5) got only four singles off Megan Roberts in the rematch.
* Ferrum 8-9, Covenant 0-5: At Covenant, the host Lady Scots dropped to 2-6 overall and 0-4 in the USA South, but in the second game Kaitlyn Sirmons was 3-for-4, Madison Quirk was 2-for-3 with an RBI and Morgan Lane had two RBIs. Chloe Brzyck was 5-for-7 with two homers and six RBIs in the doubleheader for Ferrum (2-4, 2-2).
* Tennessee Temple 1-6, Sewanee 0-0: At Ooltewah High School, Savannah Brownlee pitched a three-hitter and Fred Smith drove in Megan Roysden with the lone run in game one, while Jacqueline Crawford went 3-for-3, and then Roysden pitched a four-hitter with seven strikeouts, Brownlee hit a three-run homer and Raven Pope was 3-for-3 for Temple (4-8).
* Roane State 6-4, Cleveland State 3-3: At Cleveland, the Raiderettes bounced back from 6-5 and 8-2 losses Friday in the TCCAA series to drop the Lady Cougars to 4-10, 2-6, despite a two-run homer by Leslie Nunnelly. Kristen Qualls had the last four RBIs, including a three-run double in the seventh, in Friday's first game.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress