In 2013, the states with the biggest decline in share of adults working were:
• 1. Tennessee, down 1.1 percent to 54.4 percent of population
• 2. Arkansas, down 1.0 percent to 52.7 percent of population
• 3. North Dakota, down 1 percent to 68.1 percent of population
• 4. Mississippi, down 0.9 percent to 50.5 percent of the population
• 5. Arizona, down 0.9 percent to 53 percent of the population
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Employment-population ratios of persons 16 yeas old and over in 2013 compared with previous year.
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...