published Friday, March 7th, 2014

GOP Outreach

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

96
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
prairie_dog said...

Okay, Obama has to cancel his vacation to settle a dispute with the Russians, who he claimed were not our enemies anymore because the Cold War is over, and the only thing Clay Bennett can do is draw more inane cartoons of white people in tea party garb?

Obama wants to sell TVA, and the only thing Clay Bennet can do is bash the Republican lunatic fringe?

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Keeping up with current events?"

Might wanna try that, at least this week, when it seems to matter.

March 7, 2014 at 12:40 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

incite, divide, hate

March 7, 2014 at 12:59 a.m.
hotdiggity said...

Dog - Perhaps you might consider this weeks CPAC meeting, with its attendent lunatics, as "Keeping up with current events?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmqex_hjm84

It even had christian music – ‘Livin on a Prayer’, LOL

Mitch McConnell as Charlton Heston, woo hoo.

Mitch does not want to be perceived as a weak-kneeded conservative with the Tea Party barking at his heels.

Ahh, the Tea Party, such great entertainment. Better than the 'Keystone Cops' or 'The Gang Who Could'nt Shoot Staight'

March 7, 2014 at 1:06 a.m.
TOES02800 said...

Bennett spends an awful lot of time bashing the TEA Party in which, by most liberal accounts, is nothing more than just a few people with no clout.

Why so scared boys and girls? If they're just a couple of bumpkins with no relevancy carrying flags, why all the press?

March 7, 2014 at 3:55 a.m.
MickeyRat said...

Yea Clay you're right, even the air freshener won't work. The face on the 'Teabagger' clearly shows that GOP bullsh*t still stinks.

March 7, 2014 at 5:06 a.m.

You can smell the fear coming from the left. If the Tea Party so weak and insignificant, then why the need for so many cartoons bashing them? If they're of no consequence then it's illogical to keep focusing on them.

There is no actual party, moron. They don't hold a gaudy convention and elect the same old stiffs to run against the other party's same old stiffs.

When a Democrat uses the word "outreach" what he really means is behave like a Democrat. When a Democrat wants a Republican to compromise, what he really means is go along with what we want or else.

Screw this dance. Democrats are whores, and Republicans are whore lite.

If Ted Cruz runs for POTUS, he has my vote. The slavish devotion to two parties that are completely corrupt and dishonest, and are obviously working together to hold on to power at any cost, is getting really old. We should be scared because of the rate we're losing our freedoms and how much intrusion there is in our daily lives. It's all coming from the federal government.

March 7, 2014 at 6:46 a.m.

The Democrats' idea of outreach:

Offer people free stuff, and tell them anything they do is just fine and dandy.

March 7, 2014 at 6:56 a.m.

hotdiggity, and you think the Star Wars bar scene that is the Democrat Convention is any less entertaining? I never laughed so hard.

March 7, 2014 at 7:01 a.m.
hotdiggity said...

TOES - it's not the bumpkins leading the pack that scare people, it's the mindless bumpkins that are following that scare people.

Some people still recall popular bumpkins named McCarthy, Wallace, Helms, Lester Maddox, etc.

The above named would have been quite comfortable in todays Tea Party.

March 7, 2014 at 7:04 a.m.
dude_abides said...

Christie gets standing ovation from CPAC audience! Time for you conservatives to get back on his bandwagon. He got zero support here from you baggers, let's see if/how that changes. Ah, the Party of Tea, always brewing a cup of comedy.

March 7, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

Yeah, hotdiggity, that's the way it is. Name one racist statement that came out of hat CPAC meeting?

You know what's really scary? How lightning fast you libs bend over for a anyone who offers you something for free.

March 7, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

dude, christie is you Democrats' choice for a GOP nominee, because he's can't win. Ah, the Democrat Party, always transparent and dishonest. If not for lying, Democrats would have no other strategy.

March 7, 2014 at 7:21 a.m.
limric said...

Zableedofisterix,

Isn’t the last paragraph of your 6:46 post a tad conflicted? Or are you condoning ”the slavish devotion to two parties that are completely corrupt and dishonest”?

True enough, Democrats are whores, but the Republicans are NOT whores lite. They equally whorishly corrupt.

March 7, 2014 at 7:24 a.m.
hotdiggity said...

Ted Cruz wants to eliminate Obamacare, denying millions of Americans the opportunity for health care.

Perhaps Teddy should tell everyone about his gold plated health care plan. He is covered under his wife's health care plan. She is a manager at Goldman Sacs.

Must be nice to not worry about health care or its pesky costs.

March 7, 2014 at 7:29 a.m.

hotdiggity, you bumpkin, you might recall William Fullbright, racist and mentor to Bill Clinton, Al Gore Sr, who wouldn't vote for the civil rights act, Sam Ervin, and Robert KKK Byrd as well.

limric, I'm not condoning it, guess I didn't make that clear enough.

March 7, 2014 at 7:36 a.m.

hotdiggity, break out the violins. Yes, BO, our great dear leader is only think our well being, his intentions are as pure as the newly fallen snow. Whatever.

Must be nice for BO, MO, Pelosi, Reid and whole hell of a lot of Dems to not worry about health care or it's pesky costs.

Millions are already losing or will lose their health plan because of BOscare. Get real.

March 7, 2014 at 7:45 a.m.
limric said...

Hmm Zableedofisterix, Your statement: ”If Ted Cruz runs for POTUS, he has my vote” certainly indicates, if not condoning, then tolerating one of two parties that are completely corrupt and dishonest.

March 7, 2014 at 7:47 a.m.

I don't think Ted Cruz will be the nominee of the Republican Party. He spoke at CPAC, but he blasts the Party right and left. He's called them liars..etc. They tolerate him now, but behind the scenes the geniuses will end up nominating another McCain probably. If Ted Cruz runs it won't be as a Republican.

March 7, 2014 at 7:58 a.m.
joepulitzer said...

Bennett didn't make it; he's still an ape.

March 7, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.
jesse said...

I disagree Joe BUT that's pretty darn funny!!!

Limric, Do you actually believe the libertarian party is any diff.Or if they came into power they wouldn't be corrupt within 6 mo's?

March 7, 2014 at 8:27 a.m.
Maximus said...

T-Taxed, E-Enough, A-Already. Yea right, it's a fringe movement. For all you sales people out there, when was the last time you got a 10% commission! or 10% raise. We'll that's what the state of TN gets on most every dollar you spend in the state not to mention the fact that most of us work until May just to pay the corrupt IRS.

If you are not a TEA Party supporter I guess you are just a looney to ones redistribution Marxist like Clay Bennett and his life partner Alprova. Ike, does your wicken witch lesbian daughter pay any taxes or does she live off the grid like you?

March 7, 2014 at 8:31 a.m.
MickeyRat said...

Nothing like dealing in absolutes, right Maximus?

If you are not a TEA Party supporter you are just a redistribution Marxist.

Really?!

March 7, 2014 at 8:36 a.m.
limric said...

No Jesse I think Libertarianism would be much much worse.

A simple review of American history, from oh, say 1850-1930. It is an excellent illustration of a libertarian or proto-libertarian society. The emphasis was on the glorification of wealth, unbridled capitalism, no-regulations and pure laissez-faire economics. The result was the creation of robber barons, monopolistic cartels, extortionate pricing, abominable work conditions, and poverty on a massive scale.

And I'm only scratching the surface.

March 7, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.
degage said...

Max, Your attack on Ike and her child on your post of 8:31 was uncalled for. You come across as nothing but a mean spirited person that is insecure.

March 7, 2014 at 9:09 a.m.
jesse said...

Max is a bottom feeder!All hat and no cattle!Even con man has more class than max!!

there are some on here that seem to condone his behavior because they share his views somewhat and that makes them low rent along w/him!!

March 7, 2014 at 9:22 a.m.
alprova said...

Z-man wrote: "dude, christie is you Democrats' choice for a GOP nominee, because he's can't win."

You obviously have not been paying attention to any polling. Cdristie is the ONLY Republican who stands half a chance against Hillary.

The Democrats and their supporters have essentially selected their front-runner, heir apparent.

The Republican field is going to be as wide as it has been for the past decade and a half.

Now seriously, who do you truly believe will be the Conservative Republican, Tea-Party idiot who is going to save the nation and be elected President?

The numbers have been going up and down for Republican contenders for months. Mike huckabee's turn came this past week.

Hillary has been strong for no less than a year, and is lapping every other possible Democrat.

She out-polls any and every possible Republican name out there.

WHICH REPUBLICAN DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO POSSIBLY WIN?

How many times do I have to type that question to get a straight answer out of you Republican cheerleaders?

"Ah, the Democrat Party, always transparent and dishonest. If not for lying, Democrats would have no other strategy."

Your OPINION is noted for the record. That aside, no matter how you feel, the fact is that Democrats are winners where it counts the most.

People who believe that the mid-terms are going to transform power to one party or the other are highly delusional.

Despite all the lies, the hype, the hatred, Republicans and their supporters have absolutely nothing and almost no one to hold up to the American people as a unification candidate, and therefore they are going to be sorely disappointed for years to come.

March 7, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.
alprova said...

joepulitzer wrote: "Bennett didn't make it; he's still an ape."

My, what a fine testimony written by such a convincing Christian.

Some people just don't have the first clue how to show appreciation for this fine forum supplied to us, where we can all come together to discuss the issues.

No...some can only bash the man who provides it.

Hey...moron, Mr. Bennett supplies the fodder and incentive for discussion.

It is not ncessarily a personal statement or reflective of his personal views.

I sure wish some of you would grow a brain every now and again.

March 7, 2014 at 9:40 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Keep it up Clay. It allows utter morons like diggity, limric, & sewer rat, a forum to spew their hate. about a party they say is inconsequential.

March 7, 2014 at 9:43 a.m.
alprova said...

Maximyth, it takes a very small man, who consistently hides behind an anonymous identity, to lob insults to the degree that you do.

Your rich fantastical world does not hide the fact that you are literally and clearly a legend in your own mind.

Your post of today is the reason why every time you even broach the subject of Christianity, it has me heading for the shower, because I feel dirty every single time I read you posts containing attestments to a God you clearly have no relationship with.

March 7, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

….and then Alpo, the lead utter moron, says (about Clay) "It is not ncessarily a personal statement or reflective of his personal views." get some oxygen into that little round head, alpy

March 7, 2014 at 9:55 a.m.
conservative said...

Mr. Anthony Provancher, a.k.a. alprova wrote the following:

"I am a Christian because I try to emulate Christ on a daily basis"

"Get something through your thick head. I have NEVER blasphemed God."

"Jesus sinned"

"Get something through your thick head. I have NEVER blasphemed God."

"Jesus cannot be God"

Jesus said

For by thy words thou shalt be justified , and by thy words thou shalt be condemned . Matthew 12:37

March 7, 2014 at 10 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

alpy further blathers "… Republicans and their supporters have absolutely nothing and almost no one to hold up to the American people as a unification candidate…" a unifier like The Organizer. Like that?

March 7, 2014 at 10 a.m.
prairie_dog said...

Last night I was able to get to my big dog in time to catch it when he "upchucked" four cups of used kibble. A piece of plastic packing material was handy to do the job. I was lucky.

Clay's cartoons have gotten to the same point. He keeps turning back to the same old vomit.

Liberals are not going to "win." They may "prevail," meaning that they may get their way, because they have the votes, but their votes are like the guy who drilled a hole in the bottom of his sinking boat to let the water out.

We are being voted into ruin. The GOP is not relevant to lower income working people or welfare cases. The Democrats and liberals have ruined the economy by running business out of the country with environmental quackery and threats of higher taxes. The Congress together has enacted tax laws that make it profitable for 1 percenters to hoard money instead of reinvesting it in jobs in this country.

Basically, everybody in the position to make laws and enact changes is WRONG. We need a return to individual responsibility and steady work and saving and investment. Neither GOP or Democratic constituents are willing to vote for themselves to work harder and save more.

We are NOT descended from apes. We are descended from SLOTHS. Giving a sloth a vote is the stupidest thing mankind ever did.

March 7, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.
MickeyRat said...

Aww, what's the matter today Jack Dennis? Did you botch another swine castration? Your mommy told you Clay's cartoon wasn't about Obama and you jerked during your circumcision. Owchies!

You certainly seem to be flowing heavily today. See your doctor about Tampax products. You could use one of their maxi pads - on your brain. Or whatever that is occupying the cave between your ears.

March 7, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

^^^ Rat, are you eleven?

March 7, 2014 at 10:31 a.m.

Alprova, Hillary is not going to be the nominee, neither is Christie. Even though Hillary says, " I don't feel no ways tired" (in her best black slave impersonation) she's not going to be the nominee. You just want another BO to take care of you and your needs.

Polls, schmolls. Polls now mean nothing.

You Dems think you're the groundbreaking party by having the first black president, instead what you got was the first mulatto/commie/dictator/pothead/America Hating clown who has nothing in common with the black community. He's just a prop. Now you think you'll have the first woman president. Well, I guess she's a woman. She's just BO in pantsuit. She'd done more damage to women than any man could do. Congratulations on owning her.

March 7, 2014 at 10:34 a.m.
AndrewLohr said...

From a friendly communist professor's syllabus on the robber barons I learned that the US economy grew faster A.D. 1840-1860 than it has grown in any 20-year-period since. In those days banks printed their own money (no federal reserve) with an underlying gold standard, and the cabinet had about six departments (no huge bureaucracy). GOP outreach? Libertarian populism: growth instead of jobless "recovery," opportunity instead of redistributing power to overpaid bureaucrats. Guess Who is rather libertarian?

March 7, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

You libs can deny it all you want but both parties hate and fear Cruz. Cruz has the balls to call his own party a bunch of liars, as well as the Democrats.

Yeah, just we need and old bag who compares Putin to Hitler, and lies about Benghazi.

March 7, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.
MickeyRat said...

Ooh, how rude Jack.

Eleven years old puts me two older than you – AND a man. Stop being THE preeminent hater and teller of less truths than in stewed prunes. You’ll have fewer humans drawing attention to the ‘PlaintTruth’ of your persona; that you are a paunchy clapper-clawed pignut!

The air freshener cannot mask your stench. I am done with you sandwich board prevaricator.

March 7, 2014 at 10:55 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

^^^ brilliant.

March 7, 2014 at 10:57 a.m.
GaussianInteger said...

"The Democrats and liberals have ruined the economy by running business out of the country with environmental quackery and threats of higher taxes."

That's a bit of an omission of the truth, Prairie_Dog. Republicans are just as guilty. Look at the US's trade deficit, billions of dollars a year is leaving the US economy. Higher taxes on corporations is not what is contributing to this. It's the low import tariffs on products from outside of the US. Neither party is addressing this. You can have a corporate tax rate of zero, but if is cheaper for the company to make the product overseas and import into the US, the company will have no incentive to make it in the US. Regardless of which brand of party you subscribe, both are equally to blame for a less-than-stellar US economy.

March 7, 2014 at 11:52 a.m.
Maximus said...

Off the grid touched a nerve. Funny! We'll boys and girls and everything in between I have made enough money this week. Got a nice big cigar, headed to the golf course just like our POTUS....Barry The Welfare Pimp!

Ironic, Obama on Air Force One headed to the Keys to play golf with a bunch of 1%ers! Sooooo very for the people.:)

March 7, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

Look at how all of sudden Christie is all over the liberal media painted in a positive light. A few weeks ago he was dead meat. It's not the news anymore, it's not journalism, it's a stupid, ongoing soap opera that media perpetuates. Suddenly Christie is a front runner again and he's been resurrected in just a matter of weeks after a horrendous scandal. The media, Democrats and Republicans are part of it. If they want a Hillary vs Christie showdown, that's what it will be. It's incestuous. Disgusting.

March 7, 2014 at 12:47 p.m.
GaussianInteger said...

"Got a nice big cigar, headed to the golf course just like our POTUS....Barry The Welfare Pimp!"

In other words, MaxiPad has a Swisher Sweet and is heading off to play nine at Concord.

March 7, 2014 at 1:12 p.m.
TOES02800 said...

Alpo forgets that Hillary had it in the bag (sic), up until a little skinny black guy came along and pissed in her corn flakes. Short term memory loss is a sign of something bigger alpo. You need to get that checked.

March 7, 2014 at 1:16 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Volkswagen says in a letter to the National Labor Relations Board that the company doesn’t support groups representing some Chattanooga plant workers seeking to intervene in the United Auto Workers appeal of last month’s union vote.

In a one-page letter, Volkswagen Group of America attorney Steven Swirsky said the company “does not believe there is any basis for the motions to intervene to be granted.”

It looks like VW has just told the majority of their hourly workers, which voted against a union, to “F - off”. The Krauts are nothing if not specialists at interpersonal relationships and living in harmony with their neighbors and fellow workers.

March 7, 2014 at 2:16 p.m.
jesse said...

All of this could have been avoided if the U A W had kept their arz in Detroit!Now no matter what the end result is it's gonna be a rats nest from here on out!!

March 7, 2014 at 2:31 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

This is the guy Alpo had never heard of. https://twitter.com/pmatas/status/441076876178518016/photo/1

March 7, 2014 at 3:02 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Obama just can't get any R-S-P-E-C-T .... LFMOA !!

March 7, 2014 at 3:32 p.m.
alprova said...

jt wrote: "Obama just can't get any R-S-P-E-C-T .... LFMOA !!"

You people aren't even on the radar screen.

Who cares what you think?

March 7, 2014 at 5:25 p.m.
conservative said...

Mr. Anthony Provancher, a.k.a. alprova wrote the following:

"I am a Christian because I try to emulate Christ on a daily basis"

"Get something through your thick head. I have NEVER blasphemed God."

"Jesus sinned"

"Get something through your thick head. I have NEVER blasphemed God."

"Jesus cannot be God"

Jesus said:

For by thy words thou shalt be justified , and by thy words thou shalt be condemned . Matthew 12:37

March 7, 2014 at 5:32 p.m.
alprova said...

Z-man wrote: "Alprova, Hillary is not going to be the nominee, neither is Christie."

You're nothing, if not totally delusional.

"Polls, schmolls. Polls now mean nothing."

Hey...you might not think so, but the fact is that politicans pay very close attention to polls, no matter when they are taken.

You're free as a bird to disregard them all you want, but you mark my word; It will be Hillary against whatever Republican emerges from the very diverse pack of wannabe's.

If Chris Christie can keep his nose clean for the next couple of years, he will win the nomination for sure.

It's all the Republicans have going for them...period.

"You Dems think you're the groundbreaking party by having the first black president, instead what you got was the first mulatto/commie/dictator/pothead/America Hating clown who has nothing in common with the black community."

That's strictly your opinion. Most of America fortunately disagrees with you.

"He's just a prop. Now you think you'll have the first woman president. Well, I guess she's a woman. She's just BO in pantsuit. She'd done more damage to women than any man could do. Congratulations on owning her."

Hey you sawed off jerk, I'm PROUD of her. I'm pleased she wants to lead this nation, if for no other reason than she simply pisses you off.

March 7, 2014 at 5:33 p.m.
alprova said...

Toes wrote: "Alpo forgets that Hillary had it in the bag (sic), up until a little skinny black guy came along and pissed in her corn flakes. Short term memory loss is a sign of something bigger alpo. You need to get that checked."

If Hillary has no problem with it, and there is little evidence that she holds any hard feelings, then what difference does it make what any of you people think?

She's got this one in the bag, of course that is, unless she is caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl.

March 7, 2014 at 5:38 p.m.
alprova said...

jesse wrote: "All of this could have been avoided if the U A W had kept their arz in Detroit!Now no matter what the end result is it's gonna be a rats nest from here on out!!"

Hey!! The UAW is a private enterprise. They have the right to go where the business is.

Folks STILL are not getting the fact that Volkswagen WANTS union representation for all of it's employees.

The union will go in, eventually.

March 7, 2014 at 5:41 p.m.
jesse said...

Looks like V W don't always git what they want!

They also had the right to stay in Detroit!!

the union MIGHT go in 10 years from now but i doubt it!!

March 7, 2014 at 5:53 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpo is proud of Hillary. Speaks volumes about him.

March 7, 2014 at 5:54 p.m.
tifosi said...

Volkswagen does not want union representation. They want the Works Council. There is a significant level of opposition to the UAW inside VW. But, in the interest of being unified in the media, the pro Works Council is winning for now. The VW board is 50% management and 50% Works Council. They are often at odds. When decisions are made, and there is a tie on the board, Martin Winterkorn is the tie-breaker. This will be the case with regards to whether an SUV is built in Chattanooga. Considering VW is building this SUV specifically for the American market, I don't think management and Winterkorn will think it wise to build the SUV in Mexico. Especially after all the exposure this issue has received in the American media. It is a business after all. In the end... Mach 18 will rule.

March 7, 2014 at 6:16 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

alprova said...

jt wrote: "Obama just can't get any R-S-P-E-C-T .... LFMOA !!"

You people aren't even on the radar screen.

Who cares what you think?

You mean that a politician’s inability to spell simple words is not an indicator of their low grade intellectual standing?

March 7, 2014 at 6:19 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

I still feel for the VW Chatty worker. They have clearly been abused, taken advantage of, and underpaid. May even be a civil rights issue involved here. I call for a Justice Dept investigation. Are you listening Mr. Holder?

March 7, 2014 at 6:27 p.m.
tifosi said...

... and to think I turned down a chance to work for Google to stay at VW.

March 7, 2014 at 6:31 p.m.
jesse said...

If Al had one o them three cornered hats instead of tea bags hangin on it it would have them Dangle Berry's hangin, considering what he has for brains!!

March 7, 2014 at 6:33 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

^^^ BOOM!

March 7, 2014 at 6:35 p.m.
alprova said...

jesse wrote: "If Al had one o them three cornered hats instead of tea bags hangin on it it would have them Dangle Berry's hangin, considering what he has for brains!!"

Gee...it's nice to see you giving me that pass.

Guessing you took what I stated to be a personal afftont on you.

I was merely stating some simple facts.

The UAW is a private enterprise, is it not?

They DO have the right to seek business wherever they can, do they not?

And Volkswagen management has stated time and again that they welcome union representation in their plants, have they not?

Any opinion about the state of my brain is highly irrelevant, unless you can refute any or all of those three facts, which you cannot, so don't expect me to do anything but roll my eyes because you have some problem in dealing with facts.

March 7, 2014 at 7:16 p.m.
tifosi said...

alprova - Do not be fooled for a minute that 100% of VW management is welcoming the UAW with open arms. I know for a fact that that it ain't so. I am a little closer to this than you. Please show me a quote that backs what you just claimed.

The ethics of Frank and Sebastian Patta are very questionable. It flies in the face of a democracy.

Check this out: http://laborunionreport.com/2014/02/13/wall-street-journal-uaws-neutrality-agreement-at-vw-may-be-unlawful/

March 7, 2014 at 7:21 p.m.
alprova said...

tifosi wrote: "Volkswagen does not want union representation. They want the Works Council."

Given that the Works Council can only exist if it works integrally with an established labor union, I fail to see what point you are tryinh to make.

"There is a significant level of opposition to the UAW inside VW."

Understandable, of course, but such opposition is not coming from the management of Volkswagen, an unusual situation for sure.

"But, in the interest of being unified in the media, the pro Works Council is winning for now."

The way I see it, if workers at Volkswagen desire to be employed for the long term, they might rethink some of their positions, for Germany does things just a little different than we do, and if they are pro-union, it can't be all bad, can it?

"The VW board is 50% management and 50% Works Council. They are often at odds. When decisions are made, and there is a tie on the board, Martin Winterkorn is the tie-breaker. This will be the case with regards to whether an SUV is built in Chattanooga."

And if Corker winds up with egg on his face, what will your opinion of him be in the future?

"Considering VW is building this SUV specifically for the American market, I don't think management and Winterkorn will think it wise to build the SUV in Mexico."

I wouldn't bet on that. How many other automobile manufacturers have production lines down there already?

"Especially after all the exposure this issue has received in the American media. It is a business after all."

If there is one fundamental truth, or two, it is that the attention span of most Americans is about a month, at best, and another one is that Americans are most definitely price conscience.

They could care less where an auto is built. If they can sell it cheaper than a competitor, it WILL sell.

"In the end... Mach 18 will rule."

'Till then...

March 7, 2014 at 7:28 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "Alpo is proud of Hillary. Speaks volumes about him."

Do you think I give two farts what you think, Twitterdum?

March 7, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.
jesse said...

Al i just like to get ya goin cause its so easy! Just can't help myself !

March 7, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpo, I don't know man. How many farts do you give?

March 7, 2014 at 7:37 p.m.
tifosi said...

alprova - Don't be guilty of doing the same thing that so many RWNJ's are guilty of, by following the LWNJ agenda just because. Use your brain and consider the facts. Make your own judgment in the absence of political doctrines. What is right for Tennessee and our future? The risk is far too high by bringing the UAW into the South. Many arguments can be made as to who was at fault for the downfall off the auto industry in the North. The South has been on a huge roll for several decades. More jobs. Better quality of life. It is far from perfect. It always will be. But there is no doubt that many have had a better quality of life as a result of the growth brought by the auto industry in the South. All of this has occurred without he UAW.

You and I have stood on the same side about many issues on this site. Trust me just a little on this issue. I have been on the front row of this fight. I know far more than I can really share.

Here is the neutrality agreement: http://www.no2uaw.com/uploads/2/2/0/0/22009070/09-neutrality_agreement.pdf

Pay particular attention to the highlighted parts. There are some that say it is illegal for a works council to coexist with the UAW and that the Works Council could ultimately be dissolved by the UAW, thus usurping the intentions of VW and co-determination. Then it will be too late to rid ourselves of the parasite.

March 7, 2014 at 7:41 p.m.
tifosi said...

alprova wrote: "I wouldn't bet on that. How many other automobile manufacturers have production lines down there already?"

Those product's sales record in the USA pale in comparison to competitive products made by Toyota and Nissan that are Made In The USA. Camry and Altima are smoking the pants off of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle combined, they are all made in Mexico!

Face it, Americans do have a tendency to buy American. That is why they came here to build the Passat. That is why VW has finally begun to make efforts to create more awareness to the origins of the Passat. They have been terrible about this. Just two weeks ago, VW began putting stickers on the Passat promoting it's origins in Tennessee.

I have been to the plants in Puebla, Mexico.

March 7, 2014 at 7:46 p.m.
alprova said...

tifosi wrote: "alprova - Do not be fooled for a minute that 100% of VW management is welcoming the UAW with open arms."

100% No, of course not, but Germans, as a general rule, are very pro-union, and Germans have a history of working with unions.

"I know for a fact that that it ain't so. I am a little closer to this than you. Please show me a quote that backs what you just claimed."

You are MORE than a little closer to things than I am, but that does not mean that I am totally clueless to what is going on.

"The ethics of Frank and Sebastian Patta are very questionable. It flies in the face of a democracy."

You're hearing Bob Corker's side of things, and his and other anti-union advocate public statements are just as questionable, if not more so. IF Volkswagen decides to build that SUV in Mexico, what will you think then?

Will Bob Corker retain any credibility whatsoever then, in your eyes?

March 7, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.
tifosi said...

I know Sebastian Patta better than Corker does. Do you even know who the Patta brothers are?

If they build the SUV in Mexico, it will not be because of the UAW vote. It is about profits! We are working double hard to compete against $40.00 a day wages in Mexico. They have a union.

March 7, 2014 at 7:56 p.m.
tifosi said...

What does the UAW really have to offer VW employees?

I see VW production workers driving brand new $40,000 Audis every day. They would never get this anywhere else.

The next time you see an Audi in town, look in the lower left corner of the TN license plate for the black fleet sticker. That is a very nice perk.

March 7, 2014 at 8 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Pssst, Tiffy. Alpo is busy on google.

March 7, 2014 at 8:09 p.m.
alprova said...

tifosi wrote: "alprova - Don't be guilty of doing the same thing that so many RWNJ's are guilty of, by following the LWNJ agenda just because. Use your brain and consider the facts."

I believe I am.

"Make your own judgment in the absence of political doctrines. What is right for Tennessee and our future?"

That is a far too general question to answer. I'm not fond of unions BUT I do not want to see them eradicated altogether.

And Volkswagen is one company that does have a history of working well with them established in their plants. Chattanooga is the ONLY non-union plant they own.

I again reiterate; If Volkswagen has no issue with unions, they can't be all bad, can they?

"The risk is far too high by bringing the UAW into the South."

I'm sorry. I respectfully disagree. The UAW knows their asses are on the line in this nation. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm sure they have no desire to put every auto manufacturer out of business.

"Many arguments can be made as to who was at fault for the downfall off the auto industry in the North. The South has been on a huge roll for several decades. More jobs. Better quality of life. It is far from perfect. It always will be. But there is no doubt that many have had a better quality of life as a result of the growth brought by the auto industry in the South. All of this has occurred without he UAW."

You're buying into the Republican hype. The management of Volkswagen USA is unlike any from any other. Unionism is the norm. And unions in Germany are just as volatile as they can be here.

And understand that I have held two union jobs myself, both in the South, so I may have a little insight that you don't have.

The difference between you and I may be that I have never been job scared. If a job appears to be drying up, for whatever reason, I make my move BEFORE everyone else does.

"You and I have stood on the same side about many issues on this site. Trust me just a little on this issue. I have been on the front row of this fight. I know far more than I can really share."

I understand we are on opposite plains on this one. I equally understand that my opinions make not an iota of difference, but I feel the way I do nonetheless.

No need to worry though. I have no stake in what happens.

I've read anti-union articles for decades. Nothing surprises me at this point, so don't be insulted by my not taking any notice of that which you have offered.

Unions are not always a bad thing. They are largely responsible for many of the labor laws that we all take for granted today.

I would probably not volunteer to join a union again in my life, but I do have appreciation for that which has been done to reform this nation from what it once was.

I do not want to see unions eradicated.

March 7, 2014 at 8:12 p.m.
tifosi said...

I hope he is educating himself with some objectivity, and not just fertilizing his pre-conceived notions..

March 7, 2014 at 8:13 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

How many CPA's have held two union jobs? Bwahahaha

March 7, 2014 at 8:19 p.m.
tifosi said...

"You're buying into the Republican hype." BULL SHYTE!

I am living better than I have ever lived. I get five figure bonuses every year. I pick up a $58,000 Audi next week that I can trade in after 6,000 miles or 6 months. It will be my sixth car in four years. It is a perk for every employee in that plant.

I have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into that plant. I have challenged the Germans in ways they never thought was possible. It is becoming more Americanized and every day it is getting better. Our best days are ahead, if they will just leave us alone to get the job done.

Your objectivity is gone and you are just as guilty as any RWNJ on this site. You have completely closed down on considering anything I have presented. You just argue to argue.

I am done.

March 7, 2014 at 8:20 p.m.
alprova said...

tifosi wrote: "Those product's sales record in the USA pale in comparison to competitive products made by Toyota and Nissan that are Made In The USA. Camry and Altima are smoking the pants off of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle combined, they are all made in Mexico!"

Sir, with all due respect, the sales of Japanese products are due to the quality and the longevity of use that those vehicles represent to consumers.

Where they are made makes no matter to the average consumer. If what you claim were remotely true, American brands would be through the roof.

"Face it, Americans do have a tendency to buy American."

WalMart abandoned that ideal years ago, and their sales are stronger than ever.

Price and durable use makes far more difference to Americans, and that is a verifiable fact.

Gone are the days where Chinese manufactured goods are inferior to that which was made here in the U.S.

"That is why they came here to build the Passat. That is why VW has finally begun to make efforts to create more awareness to the origins of the Passat. They have been terrible about this. Just two weeks ago, VW began putting stickers on the Passat promoting it's origins in Tennessee."

I have no doubt that it is a sales angle being explored, but I have bought many vehicles in my lifetime, and where it was made was the LAST consideration I ever made, when deciding which one to buy.

But...that's me. I know I'm hardly alone.

March 7, 2014 at 8:21 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "How many CPA's have held two union jobs? Bwahahaha"

Well Sir, I worked myself through college working two union jobs.

Both were in chicken plants, and both were pre-1980.

I love it when you think you are so smart as to believe you have tripped me up.

You're nothing but a moron on a mission, but you're simply too stupid to figure out that I am always on the level.

March 7, 2014 at 8:26 p.m.
alprova said...

tifosi wrote: "BULL SHYTE!"

Um...okay.

"I am living better than I have ever lived. I get five figure bonuses every year. I pick up a $58,000 Audi next week that I can trade in after 6,000 miles or 6 months. It will be my sixth car in four years. It is a perk for every employee in that plant."

Um...okay.

"I have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into that plant. I have challenged the Germans in ways they never thought was possible. It is becoming more Americanized and every day it is getting better. Our best days are ahead, if they will just leave us alone to get the job done."

Um...okay.

"Your objectivity is gone and you are just as guilty as any RWNJ on this site. You have completely closed down on considering anything I have presented. You just argue to argue."

Hey...I have my opinion, I respect yours, and it would be nice if we can leave it at that.

Please remember that I am a total outsider. What I believe is absolutely of no consequence. But I do retain the right to accept and reject anything and everything written about the issue.

"I am done."

Um...okay.

March 7, 2014 at 8:30 p.m.
conservative said...

Mr. Anthony Provancher, a.k.a. alprova wrote the following:

"I am a Christian because I try to emulate Christ on a daily basis"

"Get something through your thick head. I have NEVER blasphemed God."

"Jesus sinned"

"Get something through your thick head. I have NEVER blasphemed God."

"Jesus cannot be God"

Jesus said:

For by thy words thou shalt be justified , and by thy words thou shalt be condemned . Matthew 12:37

March 7, 2014 at 8:33 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpo says he's "always on the level". that from the most notorious liar in N.GA. Tiffy is learning.

March 7, 2014 at 8:39 p.m.
alprova said...

Conman, are you EVER going to use your personal relationship with God to refute my truisms, or are you going to continue to give your personal endorsement to my words?

You can continue to look powerless and silly if you want to, for it makes no matter to me, but please remember that I do not hide behind a computer monitor all day and I stand behind every sentence I have ever typed.

C'mon dude...send up a prayer and ask God to guide your fingertips.

Refute my truths and facts with something...anything, if it is remotely possible.

Every post you repetively post merely substantiates my words.

Thank you very much!!

March 7, 2014 at 8:42 p.m.
jesse said...

Tifosi, you are trying to REASON w/ AL! It don't work,never has! This is the first time you have butted your head against the brick wall that all of us on here that differ w/him on most issues have been aware of from the get go!!If he let you sway him to logic it would diminish him in his own eyes and his fantasy of infallibility would be GONE! HIS EGO WOULD TAKE A HIT!!!

March 7, 2014 at 8:44 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "that from the most notorious liar in N.GA."

As if you have EVER shown me to haven typewritten one lie.

Say what you will, but I've always been financially responsible.

March 7, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.
alprova said...

jesse wrote: "Tifosi, you are trying to REASON w/ AL! It don't work,never has!"

Are you so different? Are not most of your own opinions set in stone? When have you ever changed your mind about anything?

"This is the first time you have butted your head against the brick wall that all of us on here that differ w/him on most issues have been aware of from the get go!!"

Actually, tifosi and I have had similar discussions in the past. As far as I am aware, this is the ONLY subject where we have "butted heads."

"If he let you sway him to logic it would diminish him in his own eyes and his fantasy of infallibility would be GONE! HIS EGO WOULD TAKE A HIT!!!"

This is an issue where logic does not come into play whatsoever.

The issue of unionism is very much like politics, and in fact, the issue is morbidly politicized every single time it rears it's ugly head.

Since I tend to side with Democrats these days and I reject most of what Republicans stand for or against, I believe I am on the "right" side of this issue, because I have seen Republican after Republican try to stomp on anything and everything union.

I also understand what their motivation is, who they are attempting to protect and work on behalf of, and it sure isn't any on behalf of any worker considering union representation.

In other words, if a Republican is against it, I am absolutely for it, and with good reason.

March 7, 2014 at 8:56 p.m.
tifosi said...

In other words, it has nothing to with what is best for the people at VW. You are just spouting the left-wing ideology. Objectivity and open-mindedness be damned.

Just another extremist that cannot learn anything new.

Just feed the division.

Just like conservative.

March 7, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

The man from the secret city is on the right path.

March 7, 2014 at 10:34 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Love the new avatar, PT.

March 8, 2014 at 7:25 a.m.
alprova said...

tifosi wrote: "In other words, it has nothing to with what is best for the people at VW."

I have absolutely no say so or the power to persuade anyone who will be making a decision to vote, one way or the other.

"You are just spouting the left-wing ideology. Objectivity and open-mindedness be damned."

I could easily turn that statement around and consider you to be spouting right-wing ideology and that your objectivity and open-mindedness be just as damned.

"Just another extremist that cannot learn anything new."

Are you any less extremist? I'm baffled as to why you even care what I think, given that I have repeatedly claimed to be a total outsider.

"Just feed the division."

You're as equally divided over the issue as you accuse me of being, are you not?

"Just like conservative."

We'll just have to respectfully disagree on that too.

March 8, 2014 at 9 p.m.
Hunter_Bluff said...

I see nut job Con-man is on this morning. He just hits "control V" and spews, then dozes off for a while.

March 9, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.
Hunter_Bluff said...

Limric, another example of the proto-libertarian period you mentioned can be found here. This was hardly the only war on labor that the robber barons waged during the period (nor based on today's events and results was the war ever ceased even though the robber barons won) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_Cre...

March 9, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.