The cornerstone for the Hamilton County Courthouse was laid in 1912, but more than 5,000 people attended the  building’s official opening on Nov. 22, 1913, according to the event’s program.
The cornerstone for the Hamilton County Courthouse was laid in 1912, but more than 5,000 people attended the building’s official opening on Nov. 22, 1913, according to the event’s program.
Photo by Jake Daniels .
published Sunday, March 31st, 2013
Pin It

Stories this photo appears in:

When architect R.H. Hunt set about designing and building the Hamilton County Courthouse a century ago, he kept a few parameters in mind: It needed to be simple and square; it needed to face the city center; and — above all — it needed to be fireproof.

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.