• New City Fellowship, 2323 E. Third St. (Evangel House); noon Saturday, Feb. 19; Black History Month event features interactive discussion of prejudices discussed in the book "Prejudices Within Your Race"; free but reservations requested; 624-1374.
• Metropolitan Tabernacle, 2101 W. Shepherd Road; 6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 20; Black History Month celebration by Sounds of Destiny features musical selections and African dance performance; free; 598-3538 or www.soundsofdestiny.org.
• Hawkinsville Missionary Baptist Church, 7463 Pinewood Drive; 7 p.m. today; Valentine gala for single, engaged and married couples features dinner and messages from Timothy Careathers and Rozario Slack; $15; 892-1924.
• Christ Church-Episcopal, 663 Douglas St.; 7 p.m. Thursday; organ concert featuring Balint Karosi, winner of the International J. S. Bach Competition in Leipzig, Germany; free (reception follows); 266-4263.
• Tyner United Methodist Church, 6805 Standifer Gap Road; 6:30 p.m. Friday; dessert/concert with The Bondservants benefits India mission team; $10; 892-0444 or http://www.thebondservants.com.
• St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, 630 Mississippi Ave., Signal Mountain; 7 p.m. Friday; concert by University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Chamber Singers; free but offering taken; 886-2281.
• Payne's Cove Church, 303 Charley Roberts Road, Pelham, Tenn.; 6 p.m. CST Sunday, Feb. 20; singing featuring By Faith of Manchester, Tenn.; free but offering received; 931-212-4292.
• Unitarian Universalist Church, 3224 Navajo Drive; 7 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Feb. 23; interfaith spiritual practice of singing meditation, which combines contemplative silence and communal singing and movement, facilitated by Kate Briere; 624-2985 or www.uuc.org.
• Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, 916 Convent Road N.E., Cullman, Ala.; 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. CST Saturday, Feb. 19; "Flowers and Battering Rams: A Reflection Day With George Herbert and John Donne" focuses on religious poetry of the 17th century and will be led by Sister Marian Davis; $30 (includes lunch); preregistration required; 256-734-8302 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...