published Tuesday, June 14th, 2011

Relativity

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

96
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
bret said...

Tonight's GOP debate proved one thing. Things could be a lot worse.

June 14, 2011 at 12:16 a.m.
blackwater48 said...

LUNAR ILLUSIONS

When Obama is all alone in the White House he looks vulnerable. Weak. Easy pickings.

But when you compare him with the GOP pack of 'tax cuts for the rich,' 'privatize social security,' and 'coupons for health insurance,' he looks more substantial.

The way the moon looks small when it's high in the sky, but down near the horizon, when you compare it to other earth bound objects, it looks huge.

They're both illusions, but perception is reality.

June 14, 2011 at 12:24 a.m.
AlmostAmanda said...

Sad, but true. Those debates were frightening.

June 14, 2011 at 12:34 a.m.
bret said...

It looked like the Republicans in the audience weren't even buying into the crap they were spraying. Like when John King asked why the Bush tax cuts didn't stimulate the economy or create jobs and the candidates all looked confused saying, "Sure they worked. Everything was great under Bush."

And Romney kept repeating his lie he made up yesterday about Obama making the recession worse. No, he got us out of the recession, fool!

Reality has the same effect on these bozos as sunlight does on Dracula.

June 14, 2011 at 1:06 a.m.
alprova said...

Ya' gotta love 'em. Every last one of them claimed that all is bad and it's all Obama's fault, but they also took swipes at each other.

Michelle Bachmann is running for President. Newt Gingrich is running for President, without a crew at the moment, but oh well.

Herman Cain was included in the debate. Where was Sarah Palin? Michelle Bachmann is gonna whoop up on her and take the female lead, if Palin doesn't get herself back in the limelight.

The one thing that was missing completely from the debate, was anyone who can stand toe to toe with the current President and win any points.

Romney didn't even make it to the first string in '08, and nothing gives me any reason to think he will make it this time around either.

So who's it gonna be? And who in their right mind is stupid enough to jump into a Presidential race 16 months before an election. This is pure stupidity at it's finest. People are sick of political races that now stretch on to two freaking years.

June 14, 2011 at 3:08 a.m.

Go Michelle Bachmann Go!!! Seeing her debate Obama would be real fun...

As a liberal, I have to admit that for the US a president Romney would be the best overall solution, in the sense that the democrats in the senate and house are more willing to come to terms with a (reasonable) republican president than the republicans do, who vote like robots (or monekys) on (dumb) idiolocigal ideas.

Funnily Romney will not make it, because he thinks global-warming is man-made, in contrast to the GOP brains Limbaugh and Beck, and he believed in universal health care.

All in all, he is not dumb enough to become republican nominee.... and he might not pray often enough....

June 14, 2011 at 3:18 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

what a surprise...liberals making fun of the debates....

"he's looking pretty good" ?....but the country isn't.......the dillussion goes on for you libs..his numbers look bad in key places in florida and pennsylvania.......you mysogynist, statist robots underestimate bachman...and the rest.

they're supposed to take swipes at each other, alprova...it's called disagreeing...should they all be of one mind? i know that's you leftists' goal, to all believe the same.

and obama has made things worse....you may not agree with their solutions, but one thing is for damn sure..well, a couple.....obama's incompetant....and the last two years proves a liberaly run government is a nightmare...

there's no evidence at all that any of these candidates couldn't wipe the floor with obama...obama's skills as a debater are a myth, just like his brilliance.

there're are more candidates coming too....rick perry...john huntsman.....etc..

yeah, obama looks good to you guys..and he looks good to himself in the mirror...and he smiles a lot....but in the real world, the america he's out of touch with..he looks like a clown.

michelle bachman would clean obama's clock.....debating a patsy like mccain who didn't want to come across as mean is one thing..or say it the way it really is...but she doesn't care what you libs think....or the liberal media...

obama is being laughed at ...and you libs just don't see it.

June 14, 2011 at 5:12 a.m.
rolando said...

Six to one up there, SeaMonkey...you got 'em on the ropes and at a serious disadvantage. Better give them better odds than that...level the field a bit...in the name of "diversity".

Yeah, right.

June 14, 2011 at 6:21 a.m.
woody said...

To this very day, I am still surprised Obama won the presidency..that aside..there is nothing in the 'crop' of conservative candidates (up to this point) which stands out enough to warrant a second look, let alone a viable candidacy.

"The Monk" seems to believe Ms. Bachman could stand toe-to-toe with our president, if it came down to the two of them. I have a hard time believing Bachman could stand high heel-to-high heel with Palin in the preliminaries. And both are carrying so much baggage neither could afford to fly anywhere even on Southwest Airlines.

Mitt might actually be the best of the current crop, but even that won't be enough when the ballots are all counted. Of course, I don't have the insight or seeming political acumen others here might think they possess..just an honest, sincere opinion.

I say line them all up in the starting gate and let them run..just don't look for a photo finish at the end..or a new republican president either. And, if they continue trying to mess with Social Security and Medi-Care they will be lucky to hold on to the "House."

Keep smiling..Woody

June 14, 2011 at 6:54 a.m.
Momus said...

Still no creditable Repulican candidate. I'm voting for Zack Wamp!

June 14, 2011 at 6:58 a.m.
5v5 said...

All you republican moran may as well hang it up...... The present line-up for the nomination for the office of President>>>

When the Obama machine kicks in full gear with all the items that were able to pass before Congress fell to the republicans..... Not a one will be able to make a point of discussion.

Senior Citizens, Afro-American, Gays, and Mexicans will decide the next President of these United States...... not the jealous hearted white majority. BET

June 14, 2011 at 7:19 a.m.
dude_abides said...

SpunkMonkey, you didn't mention Herman. Is he off your list of geniuses now? Wish you hadn't wasted a day in Atlanta?

June 14, 2011 at 7:21 a.m.
twharr said...

A Lannister always pays his debts...too bad the GOP can't and will not. They'd rather default just to oppose the president. Excellent satire Clay!

June 14, 2011 at 7:24 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

well, rolando...it is something to behold. the twisted logic and shocking disconnect from reality

and what standing do you have to critique these republican candidates so far, alprova? you, who said, " i trust the government because they never bounced a check", and argued yesterday the weiner's behavior is not perverted or sick, but actually quite acceptable, and, of course, the cherry on top of the cake....your claim that obama's use of the word "feets" as the plural of feet is perfectly fine on certain pesky occasions. yeah...you're the authority.

nov. 2nd 2010, as much as you libs would like to bury that day, is an ominous sign for obama in 2012....how quickly you forget.

this country is packed with suffering, angry, disapointed, and frustrated people who weren't that way before obama came into office.

anyone of those republican candidates...except for gingrich, who disqualfies himself in my opinion because he can't be trusted anymore than weiner, edwards or clinton,.......anyone one of them is smarter, better qualified and understands how this country works better than obama.

you libs start off with the premise that liberals are automatically smarter than conservatives.

well, the fact is obama duped a lot of people into believing he was a moderate. when he took office he stampeded to the left like a braying jackass in a mad, stupid-ass dash to "transform" this great country into some kind of a quasi marxist state... asap. and what do we have two and half years later? a disaster...

"our economy is struggling", "unemployment remains high", "we're deeper in debt"...that's making a joke out of it.....our economy is on life support, unemployment is not just high..it's probably really around 17%, probably 45% of this country is underemployed and have given up looking for steady work.....we're not just deeper in debt...generations to come will be buried in debt.

all of that didn't have to be .........obama owns this mess....he piled on debt and spent wildly in order to hold on to power.......he's thoroughly corrupt and cold.

he will use the epa to attack the coal industry costing them billions and forcing them into bankruptcy ..resulting in thousands of lost jobs......he planned it long ago and he'll follow through now no matter what... unemployment rate be damned...suffering be damned.......what a cold statist....

you libs are blathering about how "obama would clean bachman's clock"......and how pathetic they all are........all that matters, and you know it, is one simple question those who vote will ask themselves: was life better before obama came into office? the answer of course is, hell no!

i will say this for obama, he wolfs down a mean chilli dog or two.

June 14, 2011 at 7:47 a.m.
EaTn said...

These folks may look puny now, but just wait until the front runner gets groomed in the Koch beauty parlor and Obama gets run through the Koch hog farm. Big right-wing money and dirty tricks is why I will be voting for the most detestable one in the GOP primary.

June 14, 2011 at 7:49 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

no, dude...i'm glad i got to hear cain speak in person.....he's right in with them..a very good man and a self-made one.....obama's not qualified to lick the soles of his shoes.

June 14, 2011 at 7:50 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

there's no evidence in the last 2 and half year in office to prove that obama is smart all.

he's either incompetant ,or he knows what he's doing and he doesn't care. i think it's the latter.

he's an idealogue and a thug, but he's not brilliant..no more than any mob boss would be.

you libs on here may agree with his idealogy..but there is absolutely no evidence in his time as president to prove he's smart....zero.

June 14, 2011 at 8:08 a.m.
whatsnottaken said...

Reigning President Teleprompter or the 10 Stooges? I'll have to vote for ... ah, forget it. No need to vote in the next election.

June 14, 2011 at 8:54 a.m.
stanleyyelnats said...

"Abortion should be both Safe and Legal in this country....."

-Multiple Choice Mitt Romney

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

-Thomas Jefferson

What this country needs is a "reasonable, objective observer" in the White House and there was not one in the crowd on that stage last night.

Each of the participants last night would make decisions purely on the matter of faith, no contrary evidence allowed, their choices would be based on belief not based in reason.

Insightful look at Mr. Romney:

http://blog.stanleyyelnats.com/2010/12/18/the-real-mitt-romney.aspx

http://blog.stanleyyelnats.com/2011/05/31/suggested-for-mr-mitt.aspx

If you think for one moment that voting a Republican into the White House will improve things in this country, then I've got some swamp land I'd like to sell you.

If you think the price of gasoline is HIGH now? Put a Republican in the White House. High Gasoline Prices? You ain't seen nothing until a Republican is in the White House!

Fact:

The Republican Darlings-CORPORATIONS- are making RECORD profits but have only invested 2% of these Record Profits into hiring. These Darlings of Republicans have invested 26% into Equipment purchases (Ann Curry on the Today Show this morning).

Why are these Darlings of Republicans not HIRING Americans? Because they can use MACHINES to be more productive with the labor they now have (a machine doesn't require health care!) or ship the JOB overseas.

Why are private sector jobs not being created and why is unemployment at 9.1% (read previous paragraph)?

So, do we need some ARM twisting? Think a Republican will want to take on their DARLINGS?

Remember that swamp land?

June 14, 2011 at 8:55 a.m.
limric said...

What I think is true is - no conservative would ever admit that anyone else could be smarter than them, or better informed , nor are they emotionally capable of judging someone as better able to understand the consequences of actions.

I attribute this to something inherent in their ideology, for they do not tend to suffer from this in other realms of life. When ill, I am sure conservatives have no difficulty admitting, and being thankful for the fact, that their doctor is probably smarter than they are, obviously better informed, and obviously more aware of the possible consequences of various treatment plans.

But when it comes to politics it seems to be considered downright shameful to acknowledge that someone who gets elected to high office might actually be good at their job, even if, or especially when, they come to decisions that doesn’t adhere to their narrow ideology.

We all have our opinions, but with conservatives, the less information that goes into forming them, the more strongly they are held. Their opinions quickly graduate from being a best hypotheses about various issues, to markers of core identities.

I sense that people on both sides of the aisle are prone to this, but it really marks the right, including the libertarian right. Pragmatism – the application of principles using reason to individual circumstances is found primarily on the center-left. And to do this well requires intelligence, information and the ability to foresee probable consequences of actions.

Liberals tend to favor people who have such skills. Conservatives tend to favor people who only agree with their own, usually ill-founded assumptions.

It is no surprise that liberals, when confronted with one of their leaders who makes a decision they don’t agree with, will tend to give the benefit of the doubt, and wish to better understand what it is that the leader was thinking, so that they can maybe learn something. Of course, if what they learn about the leader’s thought processes continues to be a problem then they will cancel their support. (like me)

But there is an initial respect, growing out of an appropriate level personal humility, for the fact that the leader may well have better information, and a keener sense of the big picture, that demands at least a respectful hearing. That is why we supported them in the first place.

Conservatives, especially here, seem massively ego driven. They know that their opinion is absolutely correct, simply because - it is their own opinion. Anyone who disagrees deserves to be denounced, never listened to – certainly never given the benefit of the doubt. Since their leaders are not chosen based on their intellectual skills, there is no core competence that would justify granting the benefit of the doubt. You are either with me or against me. Last nights debate illustrated this perfectly and all things considered, "he’s looking pretty good."

June 14, 2011 at 8:56 a.m.

I didn’t watch the preview of our campaign soap opera’s new season. (My goal is to not watch any of them.) An educated guess, though, would be that Bennett’s cartoon is correct: as long as presidential elections are determined by image over substance, the ratings favor Obama in another landslide. No GOP candidate is glam material. Their showmanship just doesn’t measure up. None can be cast as a messiah (which seems to be what Americans want in a president). They are simply Oompa-Loompas to Obama’s Willy Wonka. As long as voters forget to look at the scales and insist on turning into giant blueberries, the Candyman wins in a landslide.

http://youtu.be/qw0zZttfUaw

June 14, 2011 at 9:04 a.m.
fairmon said...

Unfortunately the 'toon may be accurate. It is a sad day when the best option we have is an economic idiot whose primary experience was as a community organizer teaching people how to game the welfare system. It is naive to think he can be beat by those not offering a meaningful alternative to avoid our becoming a third world country that cannot pay it's debt. He just received $80 million from the SEIU and will receive enough from big businesses and other unions to have over one billion in his campaign fund. He will not be seriously challenged and will get the votes of:

o The democrat base and other liberals

o Unions

o Blacks, gays, Hispanics, Muslims and other minorities

o College graduate females

o Those with no concept of the approaching economic catastrophe

o One half of independents which he doesn't need to win

o He has media favor and they will not attack or report attacks

There is no name on the horizon that can offer an alternative that can come close to challenging his advantage. Any opponent that thinks pointing out that the debt has doubled and will continue increasing or that the number unemployed or under employed has increased and continues to increase or that many of his initiatives are further eroding jobs is enough to win against Obama is naive.

To beat Obama an opponent would have to describe a clear and believable plan that would effectively address these issues without adversely affecting entitlements and welfare programs. An impossible challenge.

June 14, 2011 at 9:14 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Clay Bennett would rather see the country destroyed under the yoke of socialism by a doofus Democrat president than have a Republican president that would work to reign in government and the debt.

No surprise there.

This cartoon is just leftist political commentary. The cartoonist could at least attempt to be funny.

June 14, 2011 at 9:14 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Anyone in the debate last night would be heads and shoulders above Obama as president. It would be entertaining to have a beer with Bennett and try to understand how he became such a flaming progressive.

June 14, 2011 at 9:19 a.m.
tderng said...

I am glad that the left and their media thinks the Republican field is weak.They will play it up to their zombie followers and when Obama is gone they will be like "What happened"?"Where did he come from"?"They told me I didn't have anything to worry about"."where am I"?

June 14, 2011 at 9:22 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Under Barack Obama...

Our economy is on the brink of collapse The Real unemployment rate is flirting with 18% 25% of homeownwers are still under water The feds borrow $0.40 for every dollar spent Our Allies are alienated Our Enemies are empowered The dollar may loose its role as the reserve currency...

I am trying to think something Obama has done right.

Coming up blank on that one.

June 14, 2011 at 9:25 a.m.
fairmon said...

Our republic form of government may be broken beyond repair. It makes it easy to spend other peoples money, in fact legally requires it even if money has to be borrowed or printed to keep spending. Voters demand it and failure to respond will result in removal from office. Could we learn something about how to deal with the situation by looking north to Canada. We are where they were a few years ago. At that time one U.S. dollar would buy around $1.38 Canadian. Today it takes more than one U.S. dollar to buy a Canadian dollar. Their debt and unemployment have both been reduced and their economy is prospering. Why are we modeling Europe with a better example so close? Why are we so sensitive to the southern neighbor and ignoring the northern neighbor?

June 14, 2011 at 9:30 a.m.
fairmon said...

BRP,

See 9:14 post. How will any candidate over come Obama's advantage? what am I missing? Which voter source listed will he not control?

June 14, 2011 at 9:35 a.m.
MountainJoe said...

If we don't elect Ron Paul, we are screwed. He's the only candidate clued into the fact that the destruction of the dollar by massive deficit spending, enabled by the Federal Reserve, is the underlying reason our economy has not recovered (and will not recover until the dollar is stabilized). The rest of them nibble around the edges of the problem, but only Ron Paul gets it. He has been telling us these facts for years ... it is past time people listen to him.

June 14, 2011 at 9:45 a.m.
bret said...

Here's what I got from the whole mess: Herman Cain proved he doesn't believe in the Constitution, at least not that crazy 14th Amendment.

Ron Paul sounded like a senile old grandfather, still babbling on about the Federal Reserve. I like his foreign policy, however.

Pawlenty was a punk who wouldn't even back up his statements about Romney from yesterday.

Romney wouldn't answer a single question, preferring to rehash his tired old Obama-bashing rhetoric. He stuck to his earlier lie about Obama making the recession worse, when the fact is that Obama got us out of the recession. Romney seemed a bit disheveled, like a younger Ronald Reagan suffering early signs of dementia.

Bachmann has a bunch of kids and was a tax attorney. I know this because she said it 14 times. Oh yeah, and she REALLY hates Obama.

Santorum waffled on Leno vs. Conan, perhaps not wanting to offend the 3 Republicans in the US who watch them, or more likely not knowing which one Obama prefers so he can go the other way.

Gingrich caused quite an uproar when he gave the night's first straight answer, "American Idol." The other candidates acted like he broke a rule or something. He seemed the most knowledgeable of the bunch. Too bad his campaign is almost broke and he's a morally-bereft douchebag, or he might have a chance.

The main theme seemed to be that government has no place in helping people, but should only help corporations, and that government has no business intervening into your life except when it comes to telling you who to love or what to do with your own body.

The big winner of this debate is Politifact.com. They should be busy for weeks.

June 14, 2011 at 9:46 a.m.
bret said...

I liked it when all the candidates agreed that the auto companies should have been allowed to fail (putting millions out of work and wrecking the economy) because government shouldn't be involved in free enterprise. That would have been a good time for John King to ask them their position on oil subsidies for the richest corporations on the planet. They seem to be OK with that.

June 14, 2011 at 9:47 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

obama will win california, new york(city), illinois(chicago) and a couple of other states..mass.. oregon... certainly maryland...but everywhere else, sorrry ..i don't see him winning..ain't going to happen.........sorry.....to think obama will win because he yucks it up and his wife flashes her armpits is idiocy............why would anyone who doesn't have enough to eat, can't buy gas, can't pay their bills, has been or will be foreclosed on, lost a job or can't get enough work, reelect obumble? do you know how many people that is?

how does obama run on his record? he can't.....he has no where to hide and speeches don't cut it anymore.. he's not believable at this point....

all of you who believe he has it in the bag underestimate the mid-terms...it was total rejection.

there's no indication that was a fluke.......

obama was in miami florida yesterday.....where were all the people..where was the enthusiasm?

bad sign......

June 14, 2011 at 9:50 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

harp3339 said... "See 9:14 post. How will any candidate over come Obama's advantage? what am I missing? Which voter source listed will he not control?"

I fear you may be correct, but I also hope that the American voter is smart enough to see the abysmal failure that is the Obama presidency and do something about it.

Bachmann had a good point last night. The MSM would like everyone to believe the Tea Party movement is extreme and out of step. She made a very accurate statement, I think, that the Tea Party is mostly regular Joes who can see how ridiculous our path is and wants to see some sanity return to Washington. Someone needs to carry this message over the heads of the MSM so the majority in this country can realize that they are also Tea Party Patriots.

It is also hard to imagine the Left being able to generate enthusiasm for voter turn-out in 2012. There certainly is enthusiasm on the other side. I believe the MSM is downplaying this difference.

June 14, 2011 at 10:21 a.m.
limric said...

Bret said, quote: "The main theme seemed to be that government has no place in helping people, but should only help corporations, and that government has no business intervening into your life except when it comes to telling you who to love or what to do with your own body." Great observation! You couldn't be more correct.

What conservatism has done in its decades at the seat of power is fundamentally wrong, unpopular, much of it criminal - and a large percentage of its leaders have been men of radical ideas. They believe things that would get them laughed out of the American Sociological Association, which only makes them more typical of the movement. And for all their peculiarity, people like – Karl Rove, Roger Ailes, Dick Cheney, Newt Gingrich, and the whole troupe of activists, lobbyists, and corporatists who got their start back in the Reagan years -- have for the last three decades been among the most powerful individuals in America. These and others like them laugh off the idea of the public interest as fairy nonsense; they caution against bringing top-notch talent into government service; they declare war on public workers. They have made a cult of outsourcing and privatizing, they have wrecked established federal operations because they disagree with them, and they deliberately piled up an Everest of debt in order to force the government into crisis. Conservatives appoint the opponents of government agencies to head those government agencies. They auction their official services to the purveyor of the most lavish "golf weekends". They milk millions from groups with business before Congress. They dynamite the Treasury, sabotage the regulatory process, and then threaten government shutdowns -- in short, when they treat government with contempt -- they are running true to form. They have not done these awful things because they are bad conservatives; they have done them because they are good conservatives, because these unsavory deeds follow naturally from the core doctrines of the conservative tradition.

Your lives today are a direct result of their malfeasance. Their wave of misgovernment has been brought to you by ideology, not incompetence. The ruination they have wrought has been thorough; it has been a professional job. Repairing it will require years.

June 14, 2011 at 10:26 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

bret said... "...ask them their position on oil subsidies for the richest corporations on the planet. They seem to be OK with that"

I don't like oil subsidies and think they, along with ethanol subsidies, should be gotten rid of. I would think that the libs would LIKE oil subsidies.

Oil subsidies are in place to encourage domestic production and effectively reduce the price of gasoline. In their absence, you can expect the price of gasoline to rise, having a disproportionate impact on the poor. Subsidies are paid for by taxes which on aggregate come from the upper wage earners and corporations (like everything else) so when they reduce the price of gasoline it is kind of like income redistribution.

Forget the fact that the government also directly taxes gasoline, which is a very regressive tax. Nobody said the net effects of taxes and subsidies on gasoline make any sense.

June 14, 2011 at 10:31 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

limric said... "Great observation! You couldn't be more correct."

Could not be less correct! A classic example of how the paradigm held by a group of people can completely blind them to the substance of a message.

I will agree with you two that the Republican Party gets too involved in legislating morality but the agreement does not go much beyond that.

You guys have become intellectually enslaved to progressive dogma.

June 14, 2011 at 10:37 a.m.
alprova said...

Salt Water Primate with Hemorrhoids wrote: "what standing do you have to critique these republican candidates so far, alprova? you, who said, " i trust the government because they never bounced a check", and argued yesterday the weiner's behavior is not perverted or sick, but actually quite acceptable, and, of course, the cherry on top of the cake....your claim that obama's use of the word "feets" as the plural of feet is perfectly fine on certain pesky occasions. yeah...you're the authority."

What standing do I have? As much as you do. You love to criticize me for my belief that the Government pays it's bills fine and on time despite all the criticism you levy towards our Government.

You continue to ignore the obvious when it comes to Wiener. Who are you to criticize and condemn what he did? Who are you? You're not God. You're not Jesus. You're a fellow human being and I will guarantee you that you have committed sin that has been far worse in your lifetime. So shut-up about the man.

You got your apology for the fact that the President did use the word that seems to be ruining the rest of your life, but you cannot understand for one second how he was applying that word to the context in what he was saying. "I want you to hold all of our 'feet's' to the fire," in reference to multiple people, not their feet.

Never forget that you couldn't prove it yourself. Others came to your rescue. Your assessment after the fact is laughable.

June 14, 2011 at 11:22 a.m.
alprova said...

Saltt Water Primate with Hemmorrhoids wrote: ""our economy is struggling", "unemployment remains high", "we're deeper in debt"...that's making a joke out of it.....our economy is on life support, unemployment is not just high..it's probably really around 17%, probably 45% of this country is underemployed and have given up looking for steady work.....we're not just deeper in debt...generations to come will be buried in debt."

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but for anyone to expect the President, no matter who he is, to wave a magic wand and to instantly fix any or all of the problems above is rather ludicrous.

It took a procession of years to get where we are. Contrary to popular belief of some, it did not instantaneously occur as a result of anything that happened during the last two years of GWB's Presidency. That snowball began it's decent and growing in the mid-nineties and most people know this to be the case.

What jobs can a President create that are not Government provided?

Contrary to another popular belief by some, President Obama still has not spent as much as his predecessors, with the exception of Ronald Reagan. It's not hard to look that one up too.

What can any President do to force America to spend money?

Are any of his statements in any manner untrue? No they are not. So how are these statements a joke or him making light of the situation? They're not.

June 14, 2011 at 11:35 a.m.
sage1 said...

I'm withholding my judgment of Obama until we feel the real-time effects of his pet project, Obama care whose effects will not be apparent for a few more years. At present, all we have is here say and projections, which really don't mean squat. I'm not say'n that the GOP has anything either, it's just that in my thinking, a smart monkey will investigate a new limb before he lets go of the one he has hold of. Obama care was passed without discussion and with most of those voting having never even READ the damned bill. This is a totally reckless way to run a country.

As far as the stimulus money, that's a hard one to prove either way. All I know is that I'm NOT any better off now than I was when he took office and neither is anyone else, as far as buying power goes (unless I'm a gazillionaire gobbling up foreclosed homes). Even AFTER all the billions upon billions of tax dollars wasted on the stimulus. Unemployment is still up over 9%. The Jobs market is stagnant, car sales are DOWN again. Home sales are down. Oh sure, it’s easy to say “yeah, but look where we’d be if we hadn’t had the stimulus money” but you don’t really know for sure and if you say you do do then you are just the type of person Obama is counting on for re-election. He makes empty statements like “Change you can believe in” or “Yes We Can!!” and he lets YOUR mind paint it’s own image of the meaning to the empty statements.

Me? I want PROOF and explanations. So far I have neither one.

June 14, 2011 at 11:43 a.m.
whatsnottaken said...

Everyone thinks they have an answer. I know I do. This country is screwed. Nobody can fix it regardless of their political ideology. Soon, this great diverse country will turn into the next Bosnia where states will fight states. It's envitable. As Commie Kruschev once proclaimed, "I don't need to destroy America, America will destroy itself from the inside."

June 14, 2011 at 11:46 a.m.
tderng said...

alprova said...What can any President do to force America to spend money?

...enact Obamacare,that forces people to spend money.

June 14, 2011 at 12:04 p.m.
alprova said...

Salt Water Primate with Hemorrhoids wrote: "obama will win california, new york(city), illinois(chicago) and a couple of other states..mass.. oregon... certainly maryland...but everywhere else, sorrry ..i don't see him winning..ain't going to happen.........sorry"

You won't be too upset if I and some others completely disregard your election night prowess, will you?

I mean really, what do you know about much of anything. You post on a daily basis, that which comes out of your mouth when someone yanks the string out of your back. And you post it over and over and over, as if you haven't typed it ten dozen times before.

Permit me to write something that you obviously cannot grasp the concept thereof. There is not one of the declared or undeclared candidates who will be running as a Republican that has more than a 30 percent chance of going up against the President, period.

Why can I say this with confidence. Because even among the Republican gatherings, not one of these men and women have polled higher than 32% when being considered by groups of like-minded folks. They're chances out in the open among all of America are much worse.

Would you like to read another fine reason why the Republicans are going to lose big in 2012?

Considering the fact that they are attempting to change forever Medicare and Social Security as this country has come to know it, which will alienate the very people who voted to give them those gains in '10, look for that pendulum to swing back in '12. Even Ryan knows this, for he has all but shut-up completely about it in the past several weeks, understanding that it has not been received well at all.

The Republicans will not dethrone Obama and that's all there is to it. They will likely lose as much as they gained in '10, especially if they don't change courses in what they are attempting to do to this country, which I predict they will not.

People are already yawning at the mention of the word "Tea Party candidate." They will not be a factor in 2012. Both Rand and Ron Paul have lost their luster. Michelle Bachmann, for as much as she thinks she is appealing, is still a party joke. She has never done well in any debate arena, and this latest one was no exception to that rule.

But Monkey Man, you'd never get a grasp on certain and undeniable realities in a million years.

And you won't until next November.

June 14, 2011 at 12:06 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

limric....what a bunch of crap "decades at it's seat of power"..what the &^%$# are you smoking?

conservatism?

"progressivism" has been on the march in this country since woodrow wilson....slowly but surely eroding our constitutional rights and growing our governement....

congress has been controlled for most of the last 60 years by democrats...toss in the white house a few times.......but the beaurocracy has been in the hands of the left since god knows when.....

talk about revsionist history...

the goal of the left.. is the destruction of western civilization....

we can't own property in this country, we can own a business and house, but not the land under it.....we have to account for everything we have and make......obamacare is an attempt to take it to a new level. the mandate will open the door to the government forcing us to do all kinds of things................governmnent agencies and czars can do what ever the hell they want to do and don't have to answer to the people (the house).....the epa has enormous power...

who's condeming weiner, alprova? his actions speak for themselves....the fact that i have to defend myself for pointing out the obvious, his perverted acts, not only speaks to how low this country has fallen, but to your lack of moral comapass.

and you know for a fact i've done worse things than that? who are you to say that?

who's judging him? not me...i'm pointing out that his acts are perverted and to deny that is perverted as well.

anyone who defends weiner's actions approves of his perversion. it's a given that we're all human and we all sin and falter, but to promote his perversion as normal and acceptable is a different story all together.

who the hell wants someone like that as a representative? all those republicans who did similar things are just as bad...they all need to..whatever party.......

why can't someone point out something that's blatently immoral and wrong without being accused of having a holier than thou attitude? i'm not without sin..neither is anyone else..but that doesn't mean this guy, weiner, shouldn't be criticized.....i mean, come on...he's so far gone with this stuff.......is he ever going to be asked to speak at a school in his district..? ..and here's your congressman...and pervert...congressman weiner.

June 14, 2011 at 12:26 p.m.
alprova said...

Salt Water Primate with Hemorrhoids wrote: "obama was in miami florida yesterday.....where were all the people..where was the enthusiasm?"

You do know that his appearance in Miami was to speak at three separate fundraising events, don't you? Lots of people enthusiastically attended each of those events.

The President attended 3 events in Miami. I'll bet you didn't know that, did you? 80 people paid $10,000 apiece to be at one event. I'd say that more than three quarters of a million dollars demonstrated quite a bit of enthusiasm, wouldn't you?

Obama spoke later at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, where an estimated 980 people paid anywhere from $44 to $2,500 to be in attendance of that event. That one brought in a cool $1.5 million.

Then, Obama’s priciest fundraiser took place Monday night at the Coconut Grove of Magalie "Maggie’’ and Dr. Jean-Philippe Austin. The price? $35,800 per plate.

Obama has raised several million dollars on top of the $15.5 million he had on hand after 2008. He's miles ahead of the GOP's best fund raiser, Ron Paul, who will never be elected.

Mitt Romney, at last count, had raised less than $2.5 million since his announcement. I think your question as to where the enthusiasm is, was highly misplaced.

And in case you missed it, these events were not hosted to raise money for just the President. Most of what was raised was for the DNC.

June 14, 2011 at 12:30 p.m.
limric said...

BigRidgePatriot said Quote: “Oil subsidies are in place to encourage domestic production and effectively reduce the price of gasoline. In their absence, you can expect the price of gasoline to rise, having a disproportionate impact on the poor. Subsidies are paid for by taxes which on aggregate come from the upper wage earners and corporations (like everything else) so when they reduce the price of gasoline it is kind of like income 'redistribution'.

That was a joke, right?

Hmm…. Oil subsidies subvert free market functions. Don’t they? It is a 'redistribution' of (tax) money from primarily the lower and middle class to corporations. Right? Therefore it is…..wait for it………….Socialism. Isn’t it ? DING – That was easy.


whatsnottaken said... Everyone thinks they have an answer. I know I do.

Please please – do tell. What is it?

June 14, 2011 at 12:31 p.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

limric said... "Hmm…. Oil subsidies subvert free market functions. Don’t they? It is a 'redistribution' of (tax) money from primarily the lower and middle class to corporations. Right? Therefore it is…..wait for it………….Socialism. Isn’t it ? DING – That was easy."

Read the whole post limric. I opened with my personal opposition to the subsidies. DING nothing!, are you unwittingly agreeing with me?

June 14, 2011 at 12:38 p.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

alprova,

Back to your outrageously long posts? Be happy that SeaMonkey takes the time to read them.

The local Fire Department launched a boat out of the neighborhood last night to go look for (the body of) someone who fell out of a boat and reportedly immediately sunk, never to resurface. I wonder if they are still looking.

June 14, 2011 at 12:42 p.m.
limric said...

I did read the whole post. It begins with not liking subsidies and goes on to extol the virtues of the very subsidies you ‘say’ you don’t like. Finishing with a ‘ie.’ convoluted cause and effect of both taxes and subsidies. The reality is that an oil company profits from the sale and then gets a rebate (for lack of a better word) in the form of subsidies from the tax you and I pay on the product purchased. In a sense they get paid twice. The sale to us is capitalism – the subsidy is socialism.

Are you trying to have it both ways? Please clarify. Or not.

Anyway, no matter how you look at it, the current crop of Republicans (some are kooks) can’t defeat Obama. Ron Paul is the best of the bunch. I don’t subscribe to all of his views, but many I do. He also has much more integrity than ALL the others. It’s early. Get your popcorn and soda. It’s gonna be entertaining.

June 14, 2011 at 12:58 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

it's amazing how you go to such lengths to defend obama's record.

here's a number......1.9 million fewer people are working since obama,pelosi and reid passed the stimulus package. that's a lot of people to convince that obama's still the messiah.

he's toast.

June 14, 2011 at 12:58 p.m.
alprova said...

Salt Water Primate with Hemorrhoids wrote: "who's condeming weiner, alprova? his actions speak for themselves....the fact that i have to defend myself for pointing out the obvious, his perverted acts, not only speaks to how low this country has fallen, but to your lack of moral comapass."

You have openly condemned the man for flirting with attractive women who were clearly receptive to what he did and even requested it in most cases.

So he took off his clothes. He swapped partially naked and naked pics. He never laid a finger on one of them. How many people in this country do you think have cyber-sex each day in this nation? Would it shock you to discover that experts estimate that 40% of all Americans have participated in some aspects of simulated or real sexual activity online? Would you be further shocked to learn that around 60% of our teenagers with access to a computer have engaged in such activity?

Now as for my "moral compass," I'll fess up freely and without any hesitation whatsoever that I am a human who has sinned many times in my life. There is a naked image that is floating out there somewhere, after I engaged in such activity one time in my life, shortly after I purchased my first PC. My wife knows all about it too.

For you to sit there and act as judge, jury, and executioner, over his disrobing and exchanging of pics during mutually agreed upon exchanges, without ever meeting for actual sex, which could be construed as being not much more than Biblical acts of lust, is about the most laughable and hypocritical of things that you as a human being could ever do.

You're judging me for pointing out the fact that all people sin, and more than we will ever know on a personal level or who participate in this forum, have probably done that or worse in their lifetimes.

Did you ever have sexual relations outside of marriage? Have you ever cheated on your wife? Have you ever seen a pretty girl walking down a street and said to yourself, "Man, I'd sure like to have some of that?" Have you ever exchanged racy messages with others online? Have you ever looked at porn?

The answer to at least one of the above questions is, "Yes." Are you honest enough to admit it? Probably not. But I am.

So sit there and judge me if you want and accuse me of having no moral compass. I know you're a blooming hypocrite and so do most all other people who read this.

I am a man and I have sinned. I most certainly have committed worse sin than what Anthony Wiener has. I admit it. I've asked for and received forgiveness for those sins.

As for your assessment of my morality, screw you and the hypocritical horse you ride on.

June 14, 2011 at 1:05 p.m.
alprova said...

Salt Water Primate with Hemorrhoids wrote: "it's amazing how you go to such lengths to defend obama's record."

No, what's amazing is the length that the blogosphere in this country will go to misrepresent the facts in evidence that disprove the lies being typed. One blog posts the lie, and the rest repeat it.

"here's a number......1.9 million fewer people are working since obama,pelosi and reid passed the stimulus package. that's a lot of people to convince that obama's still the messiah."

First of all, it's so unrealistic to ever expect that any President or that pumping a few dollars into the pockets of 300 million people will ever fix unemployment for any measurable amount of time.

But that aside, the charge that fewer people are working now than in 2009 is false. According to the blog that first posted this crap, in February 2009, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported that 141.7 million people were employed. By the end of May 2011 – the last month for which data are available – that number had fallen to 139.8 million, a difference of 1.9 million.

A quick check of the figures actually cited on the BLS website, in May, 2011, the figure quoted of those in the workforce were 153.7 million people, a gain of 12 million people.

"he's toast."

You wish. The man will be welcomed to a second term in a landslide election. There's no one who can beat him.

June 14, 2011 at 1:28 p.m.
limric said...

Alprova,

Dude. I like Weiner. He’s a damn good congressman. BUT. His reprehensible behavior, lack of judgment, BS’ing and hubris are his undoing. The scorn, ridicule and the loud clamoring for his resignation are justified. The left has hammered any number of right wing perverts, so the saying, “turn about is fair play.” is apropos in this instance.

Besides - Tomorrow Lindsay Lohan or some other chowder head celebrity will do something weird and the media will trip over themselves to cover it. By then big (or little) Anthony’s Weiner will be history. It's already starting to fade.....

You’re arguing just to argue. Move on.
It’s all Obama’s fault anyway.

June 14, 2011 at 1:30 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova,

Cannot "dethrone" him is an appropriate way to describe it since he and others consider him royalty and deserving of a kingdom as he claims America as his own. This is not an endorsement of any other party or option but Obama is actually a eunuch posing as a stud.

Leaders that insist they have control over all wealth and who will be favored and who will be punished are indeed behaving like the kings from which the founders fought and died to escape. Your contention that either party is superior to the other is not a sign of intelligence and insight which you claim to possess.

When one of them finds the nerve to abolish all tax manipulation tools for businesses and individuals they may not be successful but I would support them and hope enough saw the wisdom of such an initiative to elect them. Deductions, reductions, incentives, subsidies, grants and similar tools are governments tools of manipulating and selecting winners and losers. A predictable business tax of 20% of all profits after paying dividends would result in explosive growth in jobs and in government tax revenue. Personal deductions favor the wealthy and abolishing them would benefit everyone. Why are all capital gains profits not treated as regular income?

June 14, 2011 at 1:36 p.m.

Clayduh must tweet his zombie followers of his pending cartoon post in order to get their pro-Bennett comments at the top. Notice the vampires posting at 12:16 AM, 12:24 AM, 12:34 AM, 1:06 AM, 3:08 Am, and 3:18 AM.

Obama got every break in 2008 yet 47% voted against him. In 2012, the 47% will return their numbers but the blacks, gullible whites, and hopey-changey females won't. One and done, Barry.

June 14, 2011 at 1:39 p.m.
alprova said...

limric wrote regarding Congressman Weiner: "His reprehensible behavior, lack of judgment, BS’ing and hubris are his undoing."

Reprehensible? The worst thing he did was to lie about it and to implicate Breitbart in it.

Lack of Judgment? Agreed, but he who has never made a decision lacking good judgment step to the head of the line.

BS'ing and hubris? Not sure what you're referring to. He was caught. He panicked. He lied. He's a man in the public eye. He's a man, period, who engaged in about the least harmful sexual behavior a man could engage in. He goofed big time in response to being caught with his pants off.

"The scorn, ridicule and the loud clamoring for his resignation are justified."

Hardly. I'd not lose a second's sleep if he does resign, for he does not represent me in any manner, but his acts were rather low in terms of scandals that have occurred at other times in this nation, and the hypocrisy by those calling for his head on a platter is so thick, that it can be cut with knife.

"The left has hammered any number of right wing perverts, so the saying, “turn about is fair play.” is apropos on this instance."

Now on that, you make a great point.

June 14, 2011 at 1:44 p.m.
AlmostAmanda said...

Well, bookie, which is it: Am I a zombie or a vampire? Maybe both? I'll admit that being a zombie vampire would be cool, but alas I just had trouble sleeping.

I guess it's just too much trouble for you to accept that not everyone sees things like you.

June 14, 2011 at 2:45 p.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

limric said... "Are you trying to have it both ways? Please clarify. Or not."

Nope, I was trying to explain why a progressive might like subsidies.

"...I would think that the libs would LIKE oil subsidies..."

They are a form of income redistribution for the poor. I forgot to mention that they are an example of the government meddling in the market. Another favorite activity of the progressive.

June 14, 2011 at 3:17 p.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Now that I look at this cartoon again I am embarrassed. Embarrassed that such a lame political statement that shows complete lack of understanding of how damaging Omama has been to this country is so prominently displayed on our home town newspapers on-line opinion page.

Clay, please stop embarrassing us with your obama worship and lack of understanding of what is going on politically in this country.

June 14, 2011 at 3:24 p.m.
tderng said...

Weiner has broken no law,however,I will say it again alprova...Weiners texting a 17yo is just plain creepy!Anyone defending that is creepy also.

June 14, 2011 at 3:33 p.m.
Leaf said...

Enjoyed watching the 7 candidates debate last night. I gave them each a dwarf name. Can you match the candidate to their dwarf name? . . .

Gingrich __ Santorum ___ Bachmann___ Cain __ Pawlenty ___ Paul ___ Romney ___

Shady - Crazy - Plastic - Slippery - Hatey - Bashful and Who?.

June 14, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.
Leaf said...

Limric, well reasoned and intelligent post at June 14, 2011 at 8:56 a.m. Unfortunately, the only people who are open-minded enough to consider it are already liberal thinkers.

Some people aren't teachable. So you just have to insult them and move on. Like so:

Seamonkey, you have never kissed a girl.

BRP, you probably have a creepy mustache with bits of bacon in it.

Alprova, you would argue with the monkey over the color of an orange.

L4F, you hate dolphins, puppies, and your mother.

Limric, smoking is bad for you and so is cocaine.

:) smiley emoticon makes it all OK.

June 14, 2011 at 3:59 p.m.
tderng said...

leaf... :)

June 14, 2011 at 4:11 p.m.
fairmon said...

What is it about health insurance that congress doesn't seem to understand. Insurance is shared risk, not shared sacrifice a recent popular phrase. All participants in an insurance plan pays an experience rated premium to equal the cost of paying claims. A for profit policy includes cost plus 4-5% for profits. Medicare does not include a profit but does include people paying in that are not yet participating or filing claims but their contributions are not building a reserve like insurance companies are required to do, called the float. Why is it that congress keeps right on with the same policy and coverage when revenue falls so short of expenditure. Where is the money to pay all the medicare bills supposed to come from? I like having a bargain but I am not sure it is in my best interest or that of my children and grands long term. I know the constitution assures me the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It doesn't say I have a right to be happy but to pursue it. I can find nothing that says I have a right to health care provided by the government Why is it a federal program instead of a local and state issue? What provisions did Bush make to pay for the added prescription coverage?

FEMA was established as a terrorist detection and prevention department with their green, yellow, red alert system. Bush evolved it to insurance against traumatic domestic events when Katrina hit. Who is paying for that added insurance protection?

Both parties keep buying votes by adding welfare programs but neither has taken appropriate action to pay for them and now they are fighting over whose fault it was and how to slow down the destruction of the country.

I am receptive to being educated and enlightened by either a liberal or conservative that understands how to best reverse the trend and ever increasing debt. Basic math indicates anybody making a dollar will have to give the government 50% and those in the higher brackets will need to have at least 90% of theirs confiscated to keep all the promises our royal leaders have made. Please explain to me where and why I am wrong.

June 14, 2011 at 4:58 p.m.
btn128 said...

limric said... Dude. I like Weiner.

HEY EVERYBODY!!! LIMRIC LIKES WEINER!

June 14, 2011 at 5:08 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said; The worst thing he did was to lie about it and to implicate Breitbart in it.

The worst thing he did implies that you don't think lying is a bad thing. No wonder you are such a big Obama fan, did you also think Bush was OK? I assume you wold trust him to have access to your checking and savings accounts? Shouldn't be a problem unless he gets under pressure about something. You sound as gullible as the fellow that caught his wife and neighbor naked in bed together. The shocked co-worker he was telling about it ask him what he did about it....His response, nothing they lied out of it.

June 14, 2011 at 5:13 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

weiner is nothing but an obama lap dog...nothing more.....he may not have broken any law, but so what...his behavior is not acceptable. give it up, alprova...no one is comfortable with this guy except you......i'm sure his relationship with that 17 year old would always remain platonic and wholesome.......i guess he wanted to be her mentor, huh? he's creepy....

his behavior is creepy and he's a liar.....get someone else in there who can better utilize their time and justify the salary.......

harp, you're not wrong...and it is that hopeless. an irresponsible spending spree by bush in his second term combined with obama's jackass approach to our tax dollars and debt are like a one two knockout punch.

"so he took his clothes off. he swapped partially naked and naked pics" ...

you gotta be kidding me......

why is it bad...here's why

a. he lied about it b. he's stupid for not realizing when you launch something into cyberspace everyone will see it. (proof that any ***hole can be elected) c. he's cheating on his wife. and yes, i consider that cheating. chatting or texting sexually with other women and sending them pics of his weiner is cheating.....what is it then..being a man in the year 2011? d. he apparantly used government resources to do it as well e. based on his lack of self-control there's no reason not to believe his intent with that 17 year old was anything but wholesome. f. he's setting a bad example. i know what you're thinking..how corny and old fashioned...but, sorry it does...schools are booting kids out for sexting and sending nude pictures of each other...why is it ok for him to do it ? i know in the democrat party it's usually a badge of honor to behave immorally, and often rewarded with reelection, ..or in clinton's case fame and fortune...

sorry....he's a foul little man who can't stop playing with his weiner.....surely we can do better than that.

June 14, 2011 at 5:57 p.m.
chet123 said...

SEAMONKEY...I rather be a lap dog...than a butt licker for RICH and GREEDY! Police your own perverted ,hypocrite Republican Party! We will take care of our own...you need to handle your scandle with prostitutes habit of REPUBLICAN SENATOR VITTERS of Louisiana.

June 14, 2011 at 7:30 p.m.
dude_abides said...

SeaMonkey, you raved on here for a week about "feets", now you use the phrase "one two knockout punch". When did two become singular? A one-two is a combination that uses both "handses".
Finding fault with you is like shooting SeaMonkeys in a barrel, and what's more fun than a barrel of monkeys?

Your candidates are all jokes. All bitter, fragile jokes.

June 14, 2011 at 7:38 p.m.
chet123 said...

Harp339 ...Please shut up....So you had the LOMA insurance courses...keep talking and everyone will know you are/were an insurance empolyee....Get to point MAN!....

June 14, 2011 at 7:47 p.m.
alprova said...

tderng wrote: "Weiner has broken no law,however,I will say it again alprova...Weiners texting a 17yo is just plain creepy!Anyone defending that is creepy also."

What's to defend? The girl categorically stated that the communications that they had were very "decent." The Congressman never once texted anything indecent to her.

Where is it written that adults are not to have communication with teenagers? What criteria do you base your finding that it is creepy?

June 14, 2011 at 8:16 p.m.
alprova said...

Harp3339 wrote: "The worst thing he did implies that you don't think lying is a bad thing."

You've got the wrong take on things. When anyone, male or female is cornered about affairs involving others, they will lie every time. Only when proof is offered, will they fess up.

"No wonder you are such a big Obama fan, did you also think Bush was OK? I assume you wold trust him to have access to your checking and savings accounts?"

Are you that naive? The Government knows not only my account numbers and how much is in them, they know the same about you too.

"You sound as gullible as the fellow that caught his wife and neighbor naked in bed together. The shocked co-worker he was telling about it ask him what he did about it....His response, nothing they lied out of it."

Do the world a favor. Don't attempt to be humorous. That wasn't funny in the least sense of the word, nor did it even make sense.

To consider me gullible is rather presumptuous, don't you think?

People have lied for eons. Shall we start burning those that do at the stake, because you think it's the worst thing that someone can do?

Try to imagine yourself in the man's place and what your reaction would be had you been asked on camera why his dork was captured on Twitter, knowing that it had been up only long enough for it to be captured by the public?

You'd have lied too.

June 14, 2011 at 8:30 p.m.
alprova said...

Now I'm done arguing about the man and his very embarrassing problem that will pass in a week or two. He'll not be resigning and in time people will forget. For sure, many still in office have done worse.

Monkey Man, you have your opinion about him and many have their opinions about you. You're a hopeless hypocrite with I'm sure nothing more solid than Jello to use as a platform to issue moral judgments about what he did.

As for today's topic, there is a fundamental truth that you must face, or else you will explode.

President Barack H. Obama will be the President of this country until January 2017. By the time that future month rolls around, he will depart his office with higher approval ratings than that of Ronald Reagan, with the exception of the other obvious bigots such as yourself.

To you, the man will never do anything right.

If you disagree with what I state, then you respond with who you think is going to be the next President, and how you think they will win the election.

June 14, 2011 at 8:47 p.m.
Clara said...

I see nothing but a partisan split among most of the posters today.

I'm a bit out of this, as for months I have had no computer access, newspapers,or television of any kind that was informative.

I have no television at home, and my computer is dial up. I still have some trouble formulating reasonable and cogent comments here.

The chore of finding better information is beyond me, as catching up on comments posted on this cartoon and blog and past ones is nothing I would enjoy.

I will submit an occastional comment and I sincerely thank Clay and the technician who enabled me to get back online.

Clay, I see a greater diversity and impartiality in your great cartoons and I hope I will continue to do so.

Thank you for those supporters who welcomed me back. I hope I don't have to go through this lapse again.

POO

June 14, 2011 at 8:56 p.m.
BobMKE said...

FYI, which is off the subject, but the Wisconsin Supreme Court just overruled the activist Madison (WI) Judge and Gov. Scott Walker's Budget Repair Bill will become law. We all knew the Court would overturn it and it goes to show how bias the Madison Judges are.

June 14, 2011 at 9:17 p.m.
tderng said...

alprova...any time a 40 something y.o.man carries on a series of conversations with a 17 y.o.girl on her phone and/or her computer it is creepy! Were her parents there to chaperone? Whos to say there wasn't anything inappropriate? The young lady probably wouldn't admit it if there was.Personally I don't give a rats a$$ if he stays or not,he is now ineffective and a joke.If his constituents re-elect him then they get what they deserve.

June 14, 2011 at 9:56 p.m.
alprova said...

Clara, I am glad to see you back online.

June 14, 2011 at 10:17 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova,

No burning at the stake but removal and barring from office Wiener or any other that lies to their peers and the public. First of all I won't be in the position he put himself in. I can't think of any reason or any circumstances requiring me to lie about anything. Your willingness to justify and defend lying sure cast doubt on your credibility if the need to be otherwise were present.

I listed the reasons Obama will be elected. It is not presumptuous of me to consider you gullible. Your conclusion regarding his future rating confirms your gullibility. The failure to recognize what is going to happen whether it be Obama or an opponent in office is the only way anyone could even hope his rating will be in the double digits by the end of term two. The winner of the 2012 election will eventually be the losing party. The best result would be a third party with no lawyers involved.

June 14, 2011 at 10:20 p.m.
alprova said...

tderng wrote: "alprova...any time a 40 something y.o.man carries on a series of conversations with a 17 y.o.girl on her phone and/or her computer it is creepy!"

Okay, you've opined that same point three times now. I don't happen to feel that every interaction between people exists every time at the lowest possible levels each and every time. It could be that the girl was a fan of him for his political rantings on the House floor and that they conversed about that. Who knows? One thing is for sure, no matter how it is sliced or diced. The man never made a move to interact with any of the women physically. I consider that to be a feather in his hat, even if no one else does.

"Whos to say there wasn't anything inappropriate? The young lady probably wouldn't admit it if there was."

Delaware police investigated and cleared Anthony Wiener of any wrongdoing concerning his interaction with the Delaware teen. I'm quite sure that the investigation included an a viewing of the files and logs on her computer.

June 14, 2011 at 10:28 p.m.
alprova said...

harp3339 wrote: "No burning at the stake but removal and barring from office Wiener or any other that lies to their peers and the public."

Well, we're just going to have to disagree. I think given the actual offenses, forcing him to resign is too harsh. Like Clinton, the only person who should have anything to say, is his wife, and she's standing by him so far.

"First of all I won't be in the position he put himself in. I can't think of any reason or any circumstances requiring me to lie about anything."

Here we go again. You're claiming that you'd never lie. You're lying right there where you sit. Everyone lies. I have no doubt that you have lied numerous times in your life. Chances are that you've lied about something today.

"Your willingness to justify and defend lying sure cast doubt on your credibility if the need to be otherwise were present."

Well then, I'll respond in kind. Your propensity to claim middle of the road status on a regular basis, combined with your misunderstanding of so many relevant topics, has left your credibility in the toilet for much of the time you spend in here.

And if I'm remembering correctly, you are a Ron Paul supporter, which makes you a kook all day long.

"I listed the reasons Obama will be elected. It is not presumptuous of me to consider you gullible. Your conclusion regarding his future rating confirms your gullibility."

Let's discuss that in six years, okay? Lots can and will happen between now and then. And as you should know, no matter who actually has a hand in improving conditions, the sitting President always gets the credit.

"The winner of the 2012 election will eventually be the losing party."

What an unrealistic statement. The Democrats ruled this nation through 40 of the most prosperous years this nation has ever seen. Things did not start going downhill until the Republicans started gaining ground, or are you not old enough to remember that?

June 14, 2011 at 10:42 p.m.
tderng said...

alprova...aah never mind.

June 14, 2011 at 11:40 p.m.
limric said...

btn128 said... limric said... Dude. I like Weiner. "HEY EVERYBODY!!! LIMRIC LIKES WEINER!"

DOH !!! Good catch btn128

Hey, wait a minute. I was talking about the “Oscar Myer” kind of weiner…Yea that’s it. Whew.

What a funny place this is. btn128 making dick jokes (which was pretty funny), some are furious about 'feets', while others think that the world prior to 2009 was all sunshine and butterflies. A number of people take pride in parroting Sean Hannity. But my favorites are the Christian GOP sock puppets. Their nuts - but entertaining.

June 15, 2011 at 8:22 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

yeah, alprova...obama will be reelected..that's a lock....even though the cost of living is skyrocketing, gas is high, unemployment and underemployment are massive, he's piled on debt on debt and the stimulus package only means 1.9 million have lost their jobs since....yeah..it's a lock...you're premise is he's so beloved and such a star that people will overlook all the misery that's going on and pretend he had nothing to do with it......absolutely illogical.....he has us in another war and now it's found out that 200 or so donors have landed government jobs as rewards....this guy is no messiah ..he's boss tweed on steriods. what possible reason is there to reelect him?

i wonder what mountain laurel, sandy on signal mountain and anniebelle, all members of obama's herem, have to say about mr. change and hope giving out jobs for money? i don't think the koch brothers are involved in that.

the man cannot run on his record...there's nothing to brag about. he'll have to lie, flat out lie. he can't blame bush since he owns the four years after bush........he'll say he inherited a mess and he still needs time to clean it up. but he's created more of a mess......

his star power is fading fast..or completly gone....he can't get by on his good looks and fancy speeches......

the only states he can win are california, new york (city), illiniois (chicago), maybe mass. maryland and one more maybe....sorry...i don't see it. he'll lose every state out west...except maybe wash. and all southern states.....he'll lose indiana, ohio, wisconisn...he'l lose florida..and it will be close in pa. d.c. is a liberal cess pool..so he has that.....

he's viewed as a hypocrite and a liar by most in this country now....someone who t alks a good game, but isn't in the game.......

you have to know that 11/2/10 means something...it was huge..not just nationally..but locally, and state wide.....democrats were thrown out of offiice by the bunches....he has no coat tails..

alprova you know damn well that if a republican had a horrendous record like obama you'd be righting his obituary.......besides, the democrat party will be known as the weiner party going forward.....because of his unfortanate last name, it will stick in the voters minds......

you libs have declared that obama is invincible.......people vote with their pocket books most of the time...and people are hurtin' bad right now...all over this country...it's the height of foolishness to think he's invinsible.........all he can do is whine, point fingers and make some i/me/my/ mine speeches......every appearance he makes on tv draws less and less viewers...his fundraiser and appearances only draw moronic obama zombies......if he were a t.v show they would have pulled the plug a long time ago.

June 15, 2011 at 11:58 a.m.
fairmon said...

alprova,

Yes we are like congress in grid lock, we don't and won't agree. Your contention that all people lie the way Wiener did makes me glad I am not and will not have any business dealings with you nor would I consider buying anything from you. If you mean everyone lies saying to someone they look fine when actually they look like hell or telling someone their ugly baby is cute you may have a point. If you maintain everyone would lie the way he did to his wife, peers and the public if things got difficult you are wrong.

We disagree on the fact you think you can win the derby riding a donkey. A valid analogy with thinking Obama is a good president. He may be the biggest whore in the D.C. house of ill repute. He "puts out" to unions and big business with no shame. He promised unemployment under 8%, He promised to balance the budget and reduce the deficit, he promised to close Gitmo, He promised to end two wars. Were these empty campaign promises? He knew the conditions Bush had allowed to exist when he was campaigning and making impossible promises then immediately blamed Bush for his inability to deliver. He had to lie to get elected so I assume you opine that makes it OK?

June 15, 2011 at 1:48 p.m.
mymy said...

Chet123 keeps playing the class warfare game by saying things like:

"...I rather be a lap dog...than a butt licker for RICH and GREEDY!"

Get off your class warfare BS. Look who's butt you lick. You have no room to talk, punk.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/801-economy/166599-pelosis-net-worth-rises-62-percent-

June 15, 2011 at 8 p.m.
fairmon said...

chet123, I did get to the point but I can't make it simple enough for your limited mental capacity to comprehend it. When you don't like or understand a valid point your childish behavior is to say something like shut up. Are you concerned about losing the hand outs you are getting?When you grow up if you said that in person I would break you from that habit. I have never been employed by or sold insurance but I have developed several agreements between a self insured employer and an insurance company. Someone like you not willing to work has no idea how that works.

June 15, 2011 at 10:23 p.m.
alprova said...

harp3339 wrote: "Yes we are like congress in grid lock, we don't and won't agree. Your contention that all people lie the way Wiener did makes me glad I am not and will not have any business dealings with you nor would I consider buying anything from you."

Look, I point out that most men, caught in similar circumstances, will lie. I pointed out the fact that most people will lie period on a daily basis about something. You're going to get self-righteous when faced with the facts of life?

I'm an honest person when it comes to my business dealings, but if my wife asks me if something she just put on makes her look fat, do you think for one second that I am going to answer that question with the word, "Yes?" Not on your life. I will lie.

"If you mean everyone lies saying to someone they look fine when actually they look like hell or telling someone their ugly baby is cute you may have a point."

Okay.

"If you maintain everyone would lie the way he did to his wife, peers and the public if things got difficult you are wrong."

Well, that's a moot point, because most of us would never be under the much light and in that circumstance in order to determine what we would and would not do.

"We disagree on the fact you think you can win the derby riding a donkey. A valid analogy with thinking Obama is a good president. He may be the biggest whore in the D.C. house of ill repute. He "puts out" to unions and big business with no shame."

That's a load of crap. Just because you personally did not benefit from what was done, does not mean that it was not good for America, because it most certainly was and it worked.

"He promised unemployment under 8%, He promised to balance the budget and reduce the deficit, he promised to close Gitmo, He promised to end two wars. Were these empty campaign promises?"

Obama "promised" nothing. He was referring to a Jan. 9, 2009, report called "The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan" from Christina Romer, chairwoman of the president's Council of Economic Advisers, and Jared Bernstein, the vice president's top economic adviser. The Administration admitted that their predictions were off. Do you think that mistakes like that have never happened before? I hope not.

Regarding Gitmo and the two wars, I think if the facts were out there, the facts would show that the Pentagon overruled him on those issues and he had to take the reputation hit on it. The Military has more clout in this country than you might ever imagine.

Regarding the budget and deficit spending, the truth of the matter is that revenue coming into the Government is still way down from any level where deficit spending is not going to exceed inflow. When that reverses, then bitch if nothing is done.

"He had to lie to get elected so I assume you opine that makes it OK?"

This is why it is impossible to carry on a conversation with you. You can't stick to facts. You forever surmise.

June 16, 2011 at 2:19 a.m.
Selah said...

SeaMonkey...I want to put you on an island ran by Republicans...that way you will be so satisfied with your son going to war over oil, gas prices going skyhigh, the rich getting welfare through TAXBREAKS and govt. BAILOUTS, taking your rights away by silencing the UNIONs that fight for equal pay and decent work benefits, BUT your daughter won't get an abortion and homosexuals will not be married BUT they both may be on govt. funded welfare b/c they can't make a fair wage to pay the everyday bills. THey work hard and make the CEO look good and make MILLIONS but not even a decent wage to afford a house paym and car paym...REPUBLICAN living for the rich...oh. SEAMONKEY you may be RICH...post your tax records...

All I want is fair wages for everyone...I can never justify the high wages of CEO and executives b/c without the janitors, secretaries, and other regular staff they WILL not get the job done. REpublican try to keep our vote due to abortion and homosexual marriage...I agree with them on these issues only but they HAVE DONE NOTHING To STOP the progression of either one even with the majority in govt. Democrats wake up and get some values...homosexual marriage is WRONG and a SIN and will destroy AMERICA...but NO ONE Should experience violence for this choice...

June 19, 2011 at 11:41 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.