• Battlefield program: Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, meet at Visitor Center for carpooling to battlefield, 2 p.m., join park ranger for talk on connection between the Battle of Chickamauga and the sinking of the Titanic. Bring lawn chair, dress appropriately for weather. 706-866-9241.
• Car/motorcycle show: Central High School, 5728 Highway 58, 8 a.m. -3 p.m. flea market, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. bike/car show, $20 car show entry fee, benefits Central High School Band. 309-5503.
• Distinguished Young Woman program: Soddy Elementary School, 260 School St., 6:30 p.m., $10. Eleven high school juniors compete for 54th Soddy-Daisy Distinguished Young Woman title (formerly Junior Miss).
• Kiwanis pancake breakfast: Bald-Headed Bistro, Cleveland, Tenn., 7-11 a.m., $6 ages 6 and older, Cleveland Kiwanis Club fundraiser. 596-8424.
• Pancake breakfast: Longhorn Restaurant, 5771 Brainerd Road, 8-10 a.m., $5, sponsored by 100 Black Men of Chattanooga's LIFE Academy, which funds enrichment programs for ages 11-18. 601-813-7815.
• Afternoon of opera: UTC Fine Arts Center, corner of Vine and Palmetto streets, 3 p.m., free. Connor Society sponsors opera excerpts as part of university's 125th anniversary. Bob Bernhardt hosts, performances by Cherry Brendel, Rosella Ewing, Ron Brendel, John Brandon accompanied by Perry Mears.
• Wind ensemble: Lee University, Conn Center, Cleveland, Tenn., 4 p.m., free, University Wind Ensemble performs. 614-8240.
• Bradley County Democrats: Cleveland/Bradley County Public Library, Community Room, 7 p.m., monthly meeting of Bradley County Democratic Party.
• Chamber Concert: UTC Fine Arts Center, corner of Vine and Palmetto streets, 7:30 p.m., free, UTC student piano quintet, clarinet ensemble and woodwind quintet perform.
• Piano concert: Baylor School, Alumni Chapel, 7 p.m., free, Austrian concert pianist Walter Hautzig performs.
• Republican Women: GOP Headquarters, 1428 Chestnut St., Suite E, 11:30 a.m. Hamilton County Republican Women's meeting, with U.S. House District 3 candidate Scottie Mayfield as speaker, lunch reservations required, 266-6855.
• UTC Jazz Band: UTC Fine Arts Center, 752 Vine St., 7:30 p.m., free, UTC jazz band directed by Erika Schafer. www.utc.edu.
• 'Hotel Rwanda' inspiration: Cleveland State Community College, Johnson Cultural Heritage Center theater, 7 p.m., Paul Rusesabagina, real-life hero portrayed in the movie "Hotel Rwanda," is featured speaker. Screenings of the movie will be held at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• Girls choir 25th anniversary dinner: Ridgedale Baptist Church, 1831 Hickory Valley Road, 7 p.m. silent auction, 7:30 p.m. dinner and program by singers, $25 per person, advance reservations required. 296-1006.
• Masterworks Concert: Lee University, Conn Center, Cleveland, Tenn., 7:30 p.m., free. "Beethoven and Bernstein" program features faculty soloists Loralee Songer, soprano; Andrea Dismukes, mezz-soprano; Ron Brendel, tenor; and Tony Deaton, baritone; 160-voice Lee University Choral Union and Symphony Orchestra.
• Rummage sale: Jones Memorial United Methodist Church, 4131 Ringgold Road, free. 624-6073.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...