• Back-to-School Bash: Bruster's Ice Cream, 4241 Hixson Pike, 2-5 p.m., $1 off ice cream for all educators, gift bags for kids while supplies last, activities and giveaways. 877-9110.
• Cruise-in: East side of downtown square, LaFayette, Ga., 6-9 p.m., free. Free entry in best restoration, best resto-mod and best original categories. Sponsored by LaFayette Downtown Development Authority. 706-639-1519.
• Kids Fest: Knights of Columbus Hall, 7615 Lee Highway, 1-5 p.m., free family festival. www.kofc6099.org.
• Stay in School Jam: Northwest Georgia Trade and Convention Center, 2211 Dug Gap Battle Road, Dalton, Ga., 7 p.m. 706-272-7676.
• Arts In the Park: Veterans Park on Apison Pike in Collegedale, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., free. 402-9960.
• Lake Winnepesaukah: 1730 Lakeview Drive, Rossville, noon-8 p.m., special admission and unlimited rides for $75 per carload of up to five guests. Monday. www.lakewinnie.com.
• Caregiver fair: Eastgate Town Center, Senior Activity Center, 5600 Brainerd Road, Suite C, 9 a.m.-noon, free with lunch included. Amedisys Hospice Services hosts "Care for the Family Caregiver" with door prizes, exhibits, giveaways. Registration required: 499-0018.
• Fashion's Night Out: Hamilton Place, 6-9 p.m., support local nonprofits while shopping your favorite stores. Bring old magazines for donations to Hamilton County art teachers and be entered for $50 gift card. 385-4462.
• Ross's Landing History Walk: Meet at Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. in Coolidge Park, 6 p.m. three-mile walk to learn about importance of downtown area and Moccasin Bend to American Indian history. 643-6888.
• United Daughters of the Confederacy: Wally's Restaurant, 6521 Ringgold Road, 11 a.m., women ages 16 or older who have a Confederate ancestor are invited to meeting of Missionary Ridge Chapter 1777. 443-5856
• AVA Gallery Hop: Self-guided tour of more than two dozen galleries and artist studios around downtown Chattanooga, 2-8 p.m., free. Meet artists, watch demonstrations, refreshments. 265-4282.
• Barbecue benefit: Scottsboro Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 3115 S. Kyle St., Scottsboro, Ala., noon-5 p.m., $10 barbecue plates, carry-out only. Place orders ahead by calling 256-574-2575 between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday-Friday. Proceeds will help fund trips by families of cancer patients to treatments, paying for gas, food, lodging or other expenses not covered by insurance.
• Doggie Paddle: Warner Park Pool, 1254 E. Third St., noon-3 p.m., $10 per pooch and owner. Dogs can swim in park's pool before it is drained for winter. Benefits McKamey Animal Center. www.mckameyanimal center.org.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...