Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday at 205 Winchester St.
Capt. Shellie Thorne with Engine 12 said both of the elderly residents were out of the house when firefighters arrived.
The female resident told firefighters a smoke alarm woke her up. When she ran to the rear bedroom to alert her husband, she saw an electrical outlet beside the bed on fire. She woke up her husband, and both escaped unharmed. After getting outside, they called 911.
Thorne said a Chattanooga police patrol officer noticed the family dog lying just inside the front door and pulled him to safety. The firefighters got the blaze under control quickly, containing most of the fire damage to the rear of the structure.
The couple said they would be staying with their son while the house is repaired.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental, most likely from an electrical malfunction.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right: