Gaining Ground, a Benwood Foundation initiative to support local food, is running an online recipe contest through August aimed at encouraging cooks to share their best recipes using local corn.
The organization’s Facebook fans will be able to vote for their favorite recipe, with the winner receiving a gift certificate to the Brainerd Farmers Market. The contest is part of the “Right Here, Right Now” campaign, which focuses on seasonality and celebrates Chattanooga’s best flavors.
Manager Chris Casanova says the Brainerd Farmers Market is busier this summer, with new customers seeking out seasonal produce.
“When customers come to our market, they see what’s in season and start to eat according to availability,” Casanova says.
In addition to fresh produce, customers also can find cooking demonstrations, samples and farmer-inspired recipe cards.
Other events around Chattanooga this month also will celebrate local food. Visit the websites for more information on RSVPs.
• Friday, Aug. 9: Farm to Table cooking demo at Dish T’ Pass, 302 W. Sixth St., 6:30 p.m., dishtpass.com.
• Sunday, Aug. 11: Chattanooga Market’s FiveStar Food Fight at First Tennessee Pavilion, 1829 Reggie White Blvd., 11 a.m.-4 p.m., ChattanoogaMarket.com.
• Thursday, Aug. 15: “Experiencing Slow Food” with Slow Food Chattanooga at Hunter Museum, 10 Bluff View, 6 p.m., www.huntermuseum.org.
• Friday, Aug. 23: Foodstory dinner with chef Nathan Flynt of Famous Nater’s at Dish T’ Pass, 302 W. Sixth St., 6:30 p.m., dishtpass.com.
• Saturday, Aug. 31: Local food cooking class with Gaining Ground at Mia Cucina, 345 Frazier Ave., 6 p.m., theplaceforcooks.com.