IF YOU GO
• What: Elvis tribute artist Matt Cordell in concert
• When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24 (pop hits), and 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 25 (gospel)
• Where: Gem Theater, 700 Tennessee Ave., Etowah, Tenn.
• Admission: $15 reserved seating, $12 general admission
• Phone: 423-618-0375, 423-435-6480 (information)
• Website: www.etowahtn.org (ticket purchase with debit or credit card)
Elvis tribute artist Matt Cordell will be in Etowah, Tenn., this weekend for two benefit shows at the Gem Theater.
Cordell performs regularly at theaters in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., on cruise ships and in concerts and competitions across the United States. On the final night of the recently concluded Elvis Week in Memphis, he competed in the seventh annual Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest, an honor earned as the winner of an Atlantic City preliminary contest earlier this year.
His shows in Etowah will help the Merchants and Friends of Etowah and Etowah Parks and Recreation give back to McMinn County. A donation from every ticket sold will go to 12-year-old Shealeigh Brewer in her battle against Ewing's sarcoma, a rare bone cancer. According to her parents, Jeff and Dana Pack of Riceville, Shealeigh was diagnosed on Feb. 1 and began chemotherapy Feb. 15. She has endured several surgeries and numerous weeks of chemotherapy, they say, and will return to Vanderbilt University Medical Center later this month for additional surgery.
In an online bio, Cordell says he has a repertoire of some 500 of Presley's songs. Saturday night, Aug. 24, Cordell will perform rock and pop hits from "The King." Sunday afternoon, Aug. 25, he will select from Presley's gospel and inspirational songs.
Tickets for reserved seating, $15, may be purchased in advance at the Etowah Community Center off Highway 30 or online at www.etowahtn.org.
General-admission tickets, $12, are available online or at the following locations:
• In Etowah: Chamber of Commerce, inside Etowah Depot, 727 Tennessee Ave.; Gentle Dental, 710 Tennessee Ave.; and Interiors by Design, 902 Tennessee Ave.
• Athens: Madison Square Antiques Mall, 9 E. Madison Ave.
• Sweetwater: Picket Fence Galleries, 501 N. Main St.
• Cleveland: Relics Antiques, 2270 Candies Lane.