Peterson new pastor at Calvary Baptist
Ron Peterson, who attended Tennessee Temple University and once taught at Unity Christian School in Rossville, Ga., is now pastor of Calvary Independent Baptist Church, 4601 N. Terrace Road. He will be installed on Sunday, Sept. 8, at the 11 a.m. worship service.
Evangelist Mike Manor will be the guest speaker at the service.
Peterson replaces Fred Andrews, who served the 100-plus member church and attendant Calvary Christian School for more than 15 years.
Peterson was previously pastor for nine years at Heritage Baptist Church of Crown Point, Ind. He has pastored churches in Indiana for the past 25 years and has been in full-time ministry for more than 35 years.
While at Heritage Baptist, he also served as athletic director for the Indiana Association of Christian Schools and as vice president of the Indiana Fundamental Baptist Fellowship.
A native of Muncie, Ind., Peterson and his wife, Jami, whom he met while attending Tennessee Temple, have two grown children.
• New Covenant Fellowship Church, 1326 N. Moore Road; 6-10 p.m. Sept 6 and Sept. 13; First Things First class for singles, "Sex, Lies & Relationship Drama" (with dinner); free but reservations needed; 267-5383.
• Heritage Park, Jenkins Road; 4-7 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 8; Concord Baptist Church-sponsored community back-to-school picnic features food, bounce houses, games, prizes and concert of "Slugs and Bugs Live!"; free; 892-9313 or concord-baptist.org.
• Covenant of Christ Church, 1025 Highway 127, Dunlap, Tenn.; 5 p.m. CDT today; gospel concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; free; 421-4269.
• Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6 p.m. Friday; gospel concert by The Stuart Family and Calvary's Blend; free; 706-891-5683.
• Chattanooga Bible Institute, 1815 McCallie Ave.; 5:30-7:30 p.m. starting Thursday, 10-week reading/discussion group on "Mountains of Spices" by Hannah Hurnard; noon-2 p.m. starting Friday, nine-week study of "Life Principles for Worship From the Feasts of Israel" by Richard Shepherd; 10 a.m.-noon starting Tuesday, Sept. 24, eight-week study of "Knowing God by Name: A Personal Encounter" by Mary Kassian; and 9:30-11:30 a.m. starting Friday, Sept. 27, seven-week study on "Why Do You Believe That? A Faith Conversation" by Mary Jo Sharp; $40 each, including materials; 266-4574.
• Union Fork Baptist Church, 350 Lee Pike, Soddy-Daisy; 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays; nine-week Bible study by author Elizabeth George; 332-4883 or unionforkbaptist.org.