View a related story: Andy Berke shows broad fundraising reach
The hottest City Council race — moneywise — lies between the Tennessee River and state Route 153.
More than $100,000 has been raised in the District 2 City Council race among candidates Jerry Mitchell, Priscilla Simmons and Roger Tuder. Mitchell received the lion's share, raising more than $60,000, while Tuder raised almost $40,000 and Simmons raised around $3,900.
Campaign financial disclosures were due Tuesday for city elections. Twenty-two of the 27 candidates turned in their forms.
In District 1, council candidate Tom McCullough outpaced his rivals by raising $14,140. Candidates Chip Henderson raised $8,120 and Jim Folkner raised $3,754.
Four District 4 candidates tried to keep pace with longtime Councilman Jack Benson. The 12-year council veteran raised $18,349. Candidates Larry Grohn raised $2,495, Ryan King brought in $5,498, Scott McColphin got $1,326 and Tom Tomisek gathered $3,025.
First-time political candidate Chris Anderson raised nearly three times as much money as his opponent, Councilman Manny Rico. Anderson brought in $18,175, while Rico raised $6,854.
Early voting for the city election ends Thursday. The city election is Tuesday.
• Pat Hagan: No report
• Chip Henderson: Raised, $8,120; balance on hand, $4,108
• Jim Folkner: Raised, $3,754; balance on hand, $81
• Tom McCullough: Raised $14,140; balance on hand, $8,645
• Jerry Mitchell: Raised $60,190; balance on hand, $22,279
• Priscilla Simmons: Raised $3,980; balance on hand, $69.71
• Roger Tuder: Raised, $39,845; balance on hand, $27,952
• Pam Ladd: Raised, $19,286; balance on hand, $3,200
• Ken Smith: No report
• Jack Benson: Raised $18,349; balance on hand, $8,812
• Larry Grohn: Raised $2,495; balance on hand, $2,495
• Ryan King: Raised, $5,498; balance on hand, $471
• Scott McColpin: Raised, $1,326; balance on hand, $437
• Tom Tomisek: Raised, $3,025; balance on hand, $141
• Russell Gilbert: Raised $30,449; balance on hand, $15,769
• Carol Berz: Raised, $16,117; balance on hand, $11,323
• Chris Anderson: Raised, $18,175; balance on hand, $6,230
• Karl Epperson: Raised $55, balance on hand, $5
• Manny Rico: Raised $6,854; balance on hand, $325
• Tramble Stephens: Raised, $0; balance on hand, $0
• Andrae McGary: No report
• Moses Freeman: Raised, $35,787; balance on hand, $6,853
• Peter Murphy: No report
• Yusuf Hakeem: Raised, $20,825; balance on hand, $12,675
Source: Individual campaign disclosures
Cliff has worked for the Times Free Press for five years and covers Chattanooga city government. He previously covered Rhea County, as well as transportation and growth and development in Southeast Tennessee. A native of Maryville, Tenn., Cliff graduated in 2003 from the University of Tennessee with a bachelor’s degree in communications with an emphasis on journalism. Before coming to Chattanooga, he was a crime reporter with Hernando Today, a supplement of The Tampa (Fla.) ...