Jobs shift in regional Catholic diocese
The Rev. Michael Cummins, chaplain for campus ministry at East Tennessee State University, will become chaplain for Notre Dame High School and for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Catholic Student Center, the Catholic Diocese of Knoxville has announced.
At Notre Dame, he replaces the Rev. Patrick Brownell, who was assigned as pastor of St. Patrick Church in Morristown, Tenn.
The Rev. Joseph Hammond, pastor of St. Patrick, will be coordinator of pastoral outreach to the Hispanic communities of St. Joseph the Worker in Madisonville, Tenn., Our Lady of Fatima in Alcoa, Tenn., and St. Alphonsus in Crossville, Tenn.
The Rev. Randy Stice, associate pastor of Sacred Heart Cathedral in Knoxville, will become pastor of St. Mary in Athens, Tenn., and spiritual director to the Handmaids of the Precious Blood of Christ Prince of Peace Retreat Center in Benton, Tenn. He succeeds the Rev. William Oruko, who will become associate pastor at St. Dominic in Kingsport, Tenn. The Rev. Pontian Kiyimba, who had served as associate pastor at St. Mary in Athens, will become an associate pastor at All Saints in Knoxville.
• Northwest Georgia Trade & Convention Center, 2211 Dug Gap Battle Road, Dalton, Ga.; today and Sunday or June 21-23 or July 26-28 (English) or June 28-30, July 5-7 or July 19-21 (Spanish); Jehovah's Witnesses district convention features talks and plays, with the theme "God's Word Is Truth!"; free and no collection taken; www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/conventions.
• Eastdale Village Community United Methodist Church, 1403 Tunnel Blvd.; 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, June 22; Junteenth celebration features food, games, face-painting, health information, music, storytellers, poetry and history, focuses on literacy, and honors freedom and fathers; 404-944-6680, 423-821-6610 or 423-698-3121.
• Chattanooga Valley Baptist Church 90 Nick-A-Jack Lane, Flintstone, Ga.; 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.; Stocking Full of Love fundraiser features choirs from Corinth Baptist (5:30 p.m.), Cowboy Church (6 p.m.), Oakwood Baptist (6:30 p.m.), Second Baptist of LaFayette (7:30 p.m.) and the host church (8 p.m.), plus silent auction and concessions for purchase; free but love offering received; 423-718-7651.
• Second Presbyterian Church, 700 Pine St.; 7:30 p.m. Thursday; UTC Master Chorale Summer Concert features, in two parts, "The Requiem" by North Carolina native Steve Dobrogosz, and a set of love songs; free but donations benefit the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund; 425-4612 or http://utc.edu/music.
• Towee Baptist Church, 1507 Tellico Reliance Road, Reliance, Tenn.; 7 p.m. today; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 775-2806; also, Calvary Baptist Church, 1201 Grove St., Loudon, Tenn., 11 a.m. Sunday, and Land Chapel, Burger Branch Road, Englewood, Tenn., 6 p.m. Sunday.
• Oakwood Community Church, 3927 Webb Road; 6 p.m. Sunday, June 23; monthly Southern gospel singing features Willow Creek Quartet, Appointed Quartet and Bobbie Lewis; 903-3652.
Vacation Bible schools
• Hixson First Baptist Church, 5800 Grubb Road; 9 a.m.-noon Monday-Thursday; ages 4-fifth grade; theme: "Colossal Coaster World"; 877-2467.
• Signal Crest United Methodist Church, 1005 Ridgeway Ave., Signal Mountain; 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday; ages kindergarten-fifth grade; theme: "Colossal Coaster World"; 886-2330.
• Avondale Church of Christ, 1107 Dodson Ave.; 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday-Friday; theme: "Five-Ring Circus of Faith"; 698-5814 or www.avondalecoc.org.
• First Baptist Church, 2645 LaFayette Road, Fort Oglethorpe, Ga.; 6:30-8:30 p.m. June 23-27; ages 4-fifth grade; theme: "Kingdom Chronicles"; registration, 706-866-0232 or www.answersvbs.com/vbs/fbcfo.
• Kimball Baptist Church, 1500 Main St., Kimball, Tenn.; 5:30-8:30 p.m. June 23-28; theme: "Kingdom Rock: Where Kids Stand Strong for God"; 423-837-6843 or 423-718-5930.
• Oakwood Baptist Church, 4501 Bonny Oaks Drive; 6-8:45 p.m. June 23-28; ages kindergarten-eighth grade; theme: "Kingdom Chronicles"; 892-6414.
• Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church, 4829 College Drive N.E.; 9 a.m.-noon June 24-28; ages 4-13; theme: Paul's missionary journeys; 396-2134.
• First-Centenary United Methodist Church, 419 McCallie Ave.; 6-8 p.m. June 24-27; ages pre-kindergarten-fourth grade; theme: "Everything Fun Fair: Where God's World Comes Together!"; registration, http://2013cokesburyvbs.com/firstcentenaryumc.
• One Accord Community Church, 343 Sweetland Drive, Red Bank; July 14-18; preschool through adults; theme: "Colossal Coaster World"; 875-8377 or oneaccordcommunitychurch.org.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...