(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Email email@example.com by 6 p.m. each Saturday.)
Several schools are listed with "no report." Coaches are asked to call or have their appointed statistician call on game nights with scoring summary, team statistics and individual statistics for both teams as soon as games are over. Call 423-757-6273.
• Baylor: Nick Tiano scored both of the Red Raiders' TDs while rushing for 41 yards in a 14-10 victory over Father Ryan.
• Bledsoe County: Caleb Smith had TD runs of 55, 37 and 46 yards, but the Warriors fell at Chattanooga Christian, 37-32.
• Brainerd: No report; beat Hixson 14-12.
• Boyd-Buchanan: Jim Cardwell ran for two touchdowns in regulation and then threw a TD pass to Jack Keebler and a two-point conversion to Austin Jackson in overtime in the Bucs' 22-21 win over previously unbeaten Silverdale Baptist.
• Bradley Central: Cole Copeland came on late to complete six of seven passes, including a 50-yard TD to Tyler Carpenter, in the Bears' loss to East Hamilton.
• Calhoun: No report; beat Model 41-9.
• Central: No report; beat McMinn Central 35-0.
• Chattanooga Christian: Zachary Mercer scored the opening TD and threw a 47-yard TD pass with 0:55 left in the Chargers' 37-32 victory over Bledsoe County.
• Christian Heritage: No report; beat Trion 24-20.
• Cleveland: Open date.
• Coahulla Creek: Lost to North Murray 56-14.
• Copper Basin: Isaac Spencer threw two TD passes and ran for three scores. He had 70 rushing yards and 181 passing in the Cougars' 37-36 loss to Grace Academy.
• Dade County: Zac Freeman scored two TDs, one rushing and one receiving, in a 31-7 win over Chattooga.
• Dalton: No report; beat Southeast Whitfield 42-0.
• East Hamilton: Tony Francois scored three TDs and pulled in four catches for 181 yards in the Hurricanes' 41-11 win over Bradley Central.
• East Ridge: Dominique Millener ran for 103 yards and two TDs and had 90 receiving yards and another score in the Pioneers' 37-14 victory over Howard.
• Gordon Central: No report; lost to Adairsville 39-8.
• Gordon Lee: No report; lost to Mount Zion, Carroll 16-12.
• Grace Academy: Will Slack gained 119 yards on 13 carries and scored a pair of TDs in the Golden Eagles' 37-36 win over Copper Basin.
• Grundy County: Michael Nolan was the Yellow Jackets' leading rusher with 90 yards, but they were shut out 41-0 by Notre Dame.
• Heritage: Andrew Chavez scored on a 9-yard run, giving the Generals an early but short-lived lead over Ridgeland in a 42-16 loss.
• Hixson: No report; lost to Brainerd 14-12.
• Howard: No report; lost to East Ridge 37-14.
• LaFayette: No report; lost to Northwest Whitfield 77-0.
• Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe: Jacob Gilbert gained 126 yards (19 carries), but the Warriors fell to rival Ringgold.
• Lookout Valley: Jalen Wynn scored two second-quarter TDs and rushed for 118 yards as the Yellow Jackets secured their first win of the season, 30-0 over Sale Creek.
• Marion County: Blake Zeman ran for 144 yards and two TDs, but the Warriors lost to South Pittsburg 35-17.
• Murray County: No report; lost to Pepperell 49-0.
• McCallie: JaVaughn Craig passed for five TDs and 331 yards, but the Blue Tornado lost 38-34 to Montgomery Bell Academy.
• McMinn Central: No report; lost to Central 35-0.
• McMinn County: Corbin Powers threw for 507 yards, passing for three TDs and running for two, but the Cherokees came up short, 36-35, against Ooltewah.
• Meigs County: No report; lost to Tellico Plains 49-27.
• North Jackson: Quentin Dawson ran for 99 yards and a TD in the Chiefs' 49-20 loss to Deshler.
• North Murray: Hinton McConkey ran for one TD and passed for three, compiling 312 offensive yards in his team's 56-14 win over Coahulla Creek.
• Northwest Whitfield: no report; beat LaFayette 77-0.
• Notre Dame: Auston Banks ran for 191 yards on 12 carries and scored three TDs as the Irish beat Grundy County 41-0.
• Ooltewah: Brody Binder ran for one TD and passed for another as the Owls held on to beat McMinn County 36-35.
• Polk County: Zach Miller ran 29 times for 142 yards and three TDs in Wildcats' 35-21 win over Loudon.
• Red Bank: Michael Robinson ran for 94 yards and a TD, but the Lions lost to Tyner 49-14.
• Rhea County: Austin Dotson ran for two TDs and passed for another as the Eagles routed Stone Memorial 45-16.
• Ridgeland: Caderius Word ran for 168 yards and three TDs and passed for another in the Panthers' 42-16 victory over Heritage.
• Ringgold: Slade Dale threw four TD passes and ran for another score while gaining a combined 329 yards in the Tigers' 56-7 win over Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe.
• Sale Creek: Chris Huffman ran seven times for 73 yards, but the Panthers fell 30-0 to Lookout Valley.
• Sequatchie County: Colby Reed, showing a lot of promise as an option quarterback, scored the Indians' lone TD in a 41-9 loss to Signal Mountain.
• Signal Mountain: Kaleb Menzel ran for two TDs and picked up 101 yards on 11 carries in the Eagles' title-clinching 41-9 victory over Sequatchie County.
• Silverdale Baptist: Josh Rogers ran for 51 yards and scored a TD, but the Seahawks lost to Boyd-Buchanan 22-21 in overtime.
• Soddy-Daisy: No report; lost to Walker Valley 34-28.
• Sonoraville: no report; lost to Cartersville 53-9.
• Southeast Whitfield: No report; lost to Dalton 42-0.
• South Pittsburg: Jajuan Lankford scored two TDs and rushed for 220 yards in the Pirates' 35-17 win over Marion County.
• Trion: No report; lost to Christian Heritage 24-20.
• Tyner: Willie Stewart threw one TD pass and caught one and also scored on a 3-yard run and a 54-yard punt return in the Rams' 49-14 win over Red Bank.
• Walker Valley: No report; beat Soddy-Daisy 34-28.
• Whitwell: Open date.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...
related articles »
(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Send an e-mail to Ward Gossett at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 p.m. each Saturday.)
HOUSTON — The Houston Cougars defense continued to make a difference Saturday.
(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Send an email to Ward Gossett at email@example.com by 6 p.m. each Saturday.)
The best single-game performances in Chattanooga-area prep football history, as ranked by the Times Free Press sports staff.