In this Jan. 27, 2010, file photo, a horse-drawn carriage shares the road with a taxi in New York's Central Park. Bill de Blasio, who is leading in the polls as he is seeking the New York City Mayor's Office, supports a plan to replace the horses with old-timey electric cars hired to take tourists on slow-speed jaunts around Central Park.Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- WHERE THE HEALTH CARE WEBSITE WENT WRONG
Contractors say the problems trace back to insufficient testing and late changes government officials made.
- 5 INJURED ON STATE FAIR RIDE
Passengers are hospitalized after an apparent malfunction on the "Vortex," which spins, twirls and flips passengers upside down, at the North Carolina State Fair.
- MERKEL SAYS SPYING ALLEGATIONS HAVE HARMED TIES WITH U.S.
"We need trust among allies and partners," the German leader says. "Such trust now has to be built anew."
- PORTUGAL REOPENS THE MADELEINE MCCANN CASE
Prosecutors say new evidence has emerged more than six years after the British girl vanished.
- WHY ACTIVISTS ARE PUSHING SAUDI WOMEN TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL
They hope recent reforms made by the monarchy have readied the deeply conservative nation for change.
- FDA RECOMMENDING LIMITS ON MOST-PRESCRIBED PAINKILLERS
In a big shift, the agency says hydrocodone-containing drugs should be subject to the same restrictions as other narcotics like oxycodone and morphine.
- HOW GAY COUPLE ARE GETTING AROUND OKLA. BAN
Groom-to-be Darren Black Bear is a member of the Cheyenne Arapaho, among the few Native American tribes that allow same-sex marriages.
- NYC HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGES COULD CLIP-CLOP TO A HALT
Animal activists who have long argued against the tradition have the backing of both leading candidates for mayor.
- FORMER RADIO PERSONALITY ARRESTED IN SEX STING
Dave Herman, who was a pioneering rock disc jockey in New York, is accused of trying to transport a 7-year-old girl to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- CARDINALS GET EVEN WITH HELP FROM ROOKIE, VETERAN
Michael Wacha and Carlos Beltran are making the most of their first World Series, propelling St. Louis to a 4-2 victory over the Boston Red Sox.