Prep fb 0902 web POW honor roll
(Coaches are asked to make nominations by 2 p.m. Sunday, submitting them to Ward Gossett at email@example.com or 423-886-4765).
* Baylor: George Porter ran for 182 yards and three TDs as the Red Raiders rallied to best Knox Webb 21-7.
* Bledsoe County: Connor Boynton completed 13 of 18 passes for 150 yards and the Warriors' only TD in a 28-6 loss at Marion County.
* Brainerd: Kaylen Stewart had five catches for 99 yards but the Panthers fell to Ensworth 55-13.
* Boyd-Buchanan: Jim Cardwell accounted for 204 yards of offense and a TD and two-point conversion, but the Buccaneers lost 18-15 to McMinn Central.
* Bradley Central: Brett Standifer had three TD passes while throwing for 156 yards in the Bears' 39-35 victory over Riverdale.
* Calhoun: Fields Chapman had two touchdown tosses in a 14-24-1 night that went for 197 yards in the team's 37-0 victory over Ridgeland.
* Central: Coming on after teammate Terry Tiller was injured, Isyah Funk ran 19 times for 80 yards but the Pounders lost to Polk County 35-15.
* Chattanooga Christian: D.J.Toney scored twice in the Chargers' second win of the season, a 48-6 victory over Lookout Valley.
* Cleveland: D.J. Jones scored four TDs, two receiving and one each rushing and returning, as the Blue Raiders improved to 1-1 with a 36-17 win at Cookeville.
* Coahulla Creek: Won 35-9. No report filed.
* Dade County: Zac Freeman returned a kickoff 80 yards and ran 11 times for 79 yards but Dade fell to North Sand Mountain 19-13.
* East Hamilton: Tre Herndon returned a kickoff for the second week in a row, this one going 93 yards in the Hurricanes' 33-21 victory over visiting Dobyns-Bennett.
* East Ridge: Dominique Millener scored the Pioneers only TD and finished with 60 rushing yards in a 20-6 loss to Notre Dame.
* Fort Payne: Desmon Turner scored a receiving TD and a two-point conversion and then added punt returns of 71 and 67 yards in a 46-0 victory over North Jackson.
* Gordon Central: Lost 33-6. No report filed.
* Gordon Lee: Zach Cobb gained 216 yards on 20 rushing attempts and scored twice as the Trojans downed Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe 33-7.
* Grace Academy: Alex Blandon ran for 64 yards and a TD on just two carries in the Golden Eagles' 48-14 loss to Grundy County.
* Grundy County: Two-way standout Mike Nolan, also a linebacker, ran for 228 yards on just 12 carries and three TDs in the Yellow Jackets' 48-14 win over Grace Academy.
* Heritage: Christian King scored the first TD of the game but the Generals' lead was short-lived in a 46-14 loss to Ringgold.
* Hixson: Isaiah Robinson had a pair of TDs and rushed for 175 yards on 18 carries as the Wildcats handed South Pittsburg its first loss, 29-6.
* Howard: 35-14. Lorenzo McCauley had six catches for 61 yards but the Tigers fell 35-14 to visiting Stratford.
* Ider: Lost 20-8. No report filed.
* Lookout Valley: Evan Walker scored the Yellow Jackets' lone TD in a 48-6 loss to Chattanooga Christian.
* Marion County: Blake Zeman was held to a pair of touchdowns but he rushed 16 times for 121 yards in the Warriors' 28-6 win over Bledsoe County.
* Murray County: Lost 35-9. No report filed.
* McCallie: JaVaughn Craig ran for 74 yards and passed for 87 more in the Blue Tornado's 41-6 win over McMinn County.
* McMinn Central: Denzell Boyd picked up 137 rushing yards and scored twice in the Chargers' 18-15 win over Boyd-Buchanan.
* McMinn County: Dre Sanders rushed for 81 yards but was held out of the end zone in the Cherokees' 41-6 loss at McCallie.
* Meigs County: Bryson Baker completed 12 of 23 passes with no interceptions for 157 yards and three TDs in the Tigers' loss at Sweetwater.
* North Murray: Lost 35-12. No report filed.
* North Sand Mountain: Cody McBryar scored one TD and passed for another as NSM outlasted Dade County 19-13.
* Northwest Whitfield: Lost 35-12. No report filed.
* Notre Dame: Kareem Orr scored on a 57-yard pass from Clay Hetzel, finishing with 133 yards on four receptions, and also scored on one of two interceptions as the Irish moved to 1-1 win a 20-9 victory over East Ridge.
* Ooltewah: Brody Binder threw for 271 yards (24-41-0) and three TDs but the Owls came up short against Siegel, 58-47.
* Polk County: Zach Miller scored three TDs and ran for 210 yards in the Wildcats' 35-15 win over Central.
* Red Bank: Michael Robinson scored the Lions' only TD and ran for 105 yards but they fell to neighbor rival Soddy-Daisy 21-7.
* Rhea County: Demetrius Patterson got three TDs and rushed for 171 yards on just nine carries in the Golden Eagles' 56-20 win over Coffee County.
* Ridgeland: Drew Stubbs had two catches for 21 yards, but the Panthers were held to two first downs in a 37-0 loss to Calhoun.
* Ringgold: Kile Sholl scored a pair of TDs, rushed for 41 yards, caught three passes for 68 yards and intercepted two passes in the Tigers' 46-14 win at Heritage.
* Scottsboro: Lost 27-13. No report field.
* Signal Mountain: James McClellan ran for 199 yards, including a 70-yard TD, as the Eagles' defeated Tyner 49-28.
* Silverdale Baptist: Josh Rogers had a three-TD night and finished with 119 rushing yards in the Seahawks' 36-0 home-opener win over Community.
* Soddy-Daisy: Hunter Maynor threw three second-half TD passes, finishing with 250 yards as the Trojans rallied for a 21-7 win over Red Bank.
* Southeast Whitfield: Won 35-12; no report filed.
* South Pittsburg: Jajuan Lankford ran for 75 yards but was held out of the end zone in the Pirates' 29-6 loss to Hixson.
* Trion: Chandler Lathem returned a fumble 45 yards for one score and caught two passes for two more TDs in a 43-6 win over Armuchee.
* Tyner: Rodney Watson caught six Haasan Miller passes for 113 yards and a TD but the Rams lost 49-28 to Signal Mountain.
* Walker Valley: Cory Cook scored one TD and passed for another as the Mustangs moved to 2-0 with a 24-21 victory over Sequoyah.
* Whitwell: Shandon Lyle ran for 91 yards, passed for 108 and returned an interception 45 yards, accounting for four TDs in the Tigers' 53-50 loss to Midway.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...