Orchard Knob to install Williams
Orchard Knob Missionary Baptist Church, 1734 E. Third St., will install the Rev. Carlos D. Williams as pastor on Sunday at 4 p.m. He succeeds the Rev. Harold K. Lester, now pastor emeritus, who served the congregation for 46 years.
The service will be led the Rev. Clarence C. Carter Sr. of Mount Olive Baptist Church, in Harpersville, Ala.
Williams, a native of Shelby County, Ala., was licensed to preach in 1994 and ordained into the ministry in 1997. He attended Morehouse College in Atlanta, then graduated from Birmingham-Easonian Baptist Bible College with bachelor's degrees in theology and pastoral ministry in 2004. He received his Master of Arts in theological studies from Faith Seminary in Tacoma, Wash., in 2006.
He has pastored congregations in Alabama, Indiana and Michigan, and was a Bible instructor at Birmingham-Easonian Bible College from 2006 to 2010.
Williams and his wife, Joannie, have two sons, Corbin Jevon and Kenan Dewayne.
• Heritage Pointe Baptist Church, 60 Dyer Bridge Place, Ringgold, Ga.; 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29; community campfire worship service, followed by hot dog roast; event inside if inclement weather; free; 706-858-0976.
• St. Therese of Lisieux, 900 Clingan Ridge Drive NW, Cleveland, Tenn.; 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturdays, Sept. 28-Dec. 7; classes assist applicants in preparing for the naturalization interview and test with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and in improving their English speaking, reading and writing; $50; 476-8123 or www.TIESknoxville.org.
• Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 501 S. Moore Road; 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturdays, Oct. 5-Dec. 14; classes assist beginning, intermediate and advanced applicants in preparing for naturalization interview and test with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and in improving their English speaking, reading and writing; $50; 622-7232 or www.TIESknoxville.org.
• Red Bank Baptist Church, 4000 Dayton Blvd.; 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 26; message by Operation Christmas Child shoebox recipient Yuri Lopez, with information about the annual operation; free; 400-4134.
• First Baptist Church, 1275 Industrial Park Road, Cleveland, Tenn.; 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 28; message by Operation Christmas Child shoebox recipient Yuri Lopez, with information about the annual operation; free; 400-4134.
• Standifer Gap Family Center, 8304 Standifer Gap Road; 1-7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28-Sunday, Oct. 6; Messiah's Mansion offers tour of full-scale replica of 3,000-year-old Hebrew tabernacle; free; 954-0174 or www.messiahsmansion.org.
• Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6 p.m. Friday; gospel concert by Scenicland Quartet and Ken Kensley; 706-891-5683.
• Shady Vale Church of God, 27 Lone Oak Road, Pikeville, Tenn.; 11 a.m. CDT Sunday; gospel concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; free; 421-4269.
• One Accord Community Church, 343 Sweetland Drive; 6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 29; concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; 875-8377 or oneaccordcommunitychurch.org.
• Christ United Methodist Church, 8645 East Brainerd Road; 4-5:30 p.m. Sunday; Just Desserts event features music, desserts and message by author and former local and national sportscaster Lisa Burkhardt Worley; free, but reservations requested; 892-9363.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...