• Civil War Lecture: Catoosa County Library, 108 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold, Ga., 1 p.m., free Civil War lecture by historian Gerry Depken on “Welcome to the Sixth: The Newest Cavalry Unit Writes Its History from 1861-1865.” 706-965-3600.
• Black History Concert: Olivet Baptist Church, 740 E. M.L. King Blvd., 3 p.m., free performance by Neshawn Yvette Bynum. 423-266-8709.
• Black History Month Performance: Hunter Museum of American Art, 10 Bluff View, 1:30 p.m., free, performances by members of The Creative Underground. 423-267-0968.
• Parenting Talk: Baylor School Alumni Chapel, 7 p.m., free community lecture by Dr. Wendy Model, author of “The Blessing of a Skinned Knee” and “The Blessing of a B Minus.” Talk on hyper-parenting and the temptation to overindulge and overprotect children, followed by a question-and-answer session. 4230757-2897.
• MacDowell Music Club: Brainerd Baptist Church, 300 Brookfield Ave., 10:30 a.m., business meeting followed by free musical program open to the public; music by Susan Whitacre, Casie Runkie, Virginia Marion and David Friberg. email@example.com.
• Black History Month Program: Hunter Museum of American Art, 10 Bluff View, 6 p.m., music, dance, spoken word and visual art presentations in conjunction with the exhibit “Slavery: A Continued Legacy.” Program produced by Shane Morrow and The Creative Underground in partnership with Bessie Smith Cultural Center. For tickets, call 423-267-0968.
• NBA Player Visits: Southern Adventist University, Iles P.E. Center, Collegedale, Tenn., 11 a.m., free and open to the public. Bob Love, who played for the Chicago Bulls 1969-1976, speaks on how he overcame a stuttering disability. 423-236-2814.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...