Kelly Marcinek made 12 kills and Kristi Piedimonte had 32 assists as Kennesaw State defeated the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga 3-0 in volleyball Tuesday night in Maclellan Gymnasium. The set scores were 25-14, 25-21, 25-23 in favor of the Owls (3-1). Sophomore Kristy Wieser led UTC (1-3) with eight kills and also had eight digs, while Anne Bachman had 18 sets assists and libero Catherine Chason made 17 digs.
• The Tennessee Temple volleyball team won for the second time in a row Tuesday night, 3-1 over visiting Point University. The set scores were 25-20, 21-25, 25-22, 27-25. Freshman middle blocker Celeste Walton was in on 15 blocks for the Lady Crusaders (2-6), while Naomi Posada had 16 kills and 17 digs and fellow junior transfer Sisten Lipsey had 28 assists and 11 digs.
• The Dalton State volleyball team went on the road and whipped Truett-McConnell 3-0 on Tuesday. The 25-18, 25-15, 25-14 dominance lifted the Roadrunners to 3-1 for the season. "That is the way we need to play the rest of the season," coach Bruna Langner said in a DSC release. "We played well in all phases of the game, and we had a chance to play everyone. It was a total team effort." The team hosts Brewton-Parker and 8-0 Coastal Georgia this weekend in B.J. Bandy Gym, where the Coach "O" Court honoring Melvyn Ottinger will be dedicated between sets two and three of the 7 p.m. Friday match. Admission is free.
• Tennessee Wesleyan defeated visiting Martin Methodist 3-1 in NAIA volleyball Tuesday night in Athens, giving the Lady Bulldogs their first win of the season after four losses. The set scores were 25-21, 23-25, 27-25, 25-22 in the first victory for TWC coach Ashley Sutrick, who previously was a Maryville College assistant. She played volleyball and softball at Cardinal Stritch University in Wisconsin, where she was the captain and led the team in blocks and was second in kills as a senior in 2007.
• South Pittsburg and Soddy-Daisy are scheduled to host high school volleyball competitions this Saturday. South Pittsburg's Lady Pirates will have an eight-team tournament, and the Lady Trojans are holding their annual Chattanooga Select Invitational playday. South Pittsburg's tournament includes five Chattanooga-area teams plus three from Alabama. Pool play is slated to run from 10 a.m. EDT through matches set to begin at 3 p.m. Single-elimination semifinals are scheduled for 4. Soddy-Daisy is hosting five other area teams in a round-robin type of format starting at 9 a.m. The final match is set to start at 4 p.m.
• Shelby Meckstroth's goal in the seventh minute held up for a 1-0 Sewanee victory over Covenant in women's soccer Tuesday night on Lookout Mountain. It was Meckstroth's fifth score in the young season for the Tigers (2-0). Lucy Johnson made eight saves for Covenant (0-3), which remained scoreless in 2014. Olivia Glascoe had seven saves for Sewanee, which had a 20-12 advantage in saves.
• With new coach Sam Mahtani finally on their sideline, the Tennessee Temple soccer Lady Crusaders lost 4-0 on Tuesday in Indiana against Oakland City and former Temple coach Emmanuel Awotula. Oakland City is 1-0-1; Temple is 0-2, but Mahtani didn't arrive at the Chattanooga school until this past weekend.
Saturday high school volleyball
South Pittsburg tournament (times EDT)
10 a.m--South Pittsburg vs. Marion County, Whitwell vs. Pisgah; 11--Boyd-Buchanan vs. North Jackson, Polk County vs. Scottsboro; noon--Marion vs. North Jackson, Pisgah vs. Scottsboro; 1--South Pittsburg vs. Boyd-Buchanan, Whitwell vs. Polk; 2--Marion vs. Boyd-Buchanan, Polk vs. Pisgah; 3--South Pittsburg vs. North Jackson, Whitwell vs. Scottsboro; 4--semifinals; 5--championship match.
CSI Playday at Soddy-Daisy
9 a.m.--Soddy-Daisy vs. East Ridge, Berean Academy vs. Chattanooga Christian; 10--East Ridge vs. Bledsoe County, Sequatchie County vs. CCS; 11--Soddy-Daisy vs. Bledsoe, Sequatchie vs. Berean; noon--Soddy-Daisy vs. Berean, East Ridge vs. CCS; 1--East Ridge vs. Sequatchie, Bledsoe vs. CCS; 2--Soddy-Daisy vs. Sequatchie, Berean vs. Bledsoe; 3--Soddy-Daisy vs. CCS, East Ridge vs. Berean; 4--Sequatchie vs. Bledsoe.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress